Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    rangerc

Default Robert Alfred b.1894 = Alfred Leonard Watson?

Hi all,
    If this is the wrong area to post this query, my apologies.

I am trying to find online service records for Robert Alfred (known as Alfred) WATSON born 1895 Heaton, Newcastle on Tyne, Northumberland, son of Joseph WATSON (1860-1899) and Elizabeth HUGHES (1859-1938).

I realise that not all records survived and not all are available online. I've been checking records available on both ancestry and on FindMyPast. So far no luck.

A photo has just been found of this Robert Alfred WATSON. Family chit chat suggests he may have served in India.

Can anyone identify anything about the uniform that may direct me to further research? I've uploaded the photo here - https://www.barrylaidler.com/WatsonRo.../WatsonRA.html

Many thanks if you can help.
    Colleen
    Last edited by TomBen; 18-07-2014 at 8:19 AM. Reason: Request from user

Loves to help with queries Jonesy's Avatar

The url is timing out for me. Could you post the picture somewhere else, for example a website like Photobucket?

Reputation beyond repute

That URL is fine for me. Could there be a problem with your ISP?

Loves to help with queries Jonesy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    That URL is fine for me. Could there be a problem with your ISP?
    Yes it is fine for me now I'm at home, but it timed out at work.

Sorry about that rangerc. Move along, nothing to see here...

malcolm99

Quote Originally Posted by notanotherminer View Post
    It's a shame that the insignia above his sergeant's stripes isn't a bit clearer. It seems to be circular so I'm wondering of it's a wheel.
    I thought it was probably a Crown, making him some sort of colour sergeant.

malcolm99

He has turn-ups and is wearing brogues and altogether looks pretty natty. This is probably his 'best' uniform and with the medals he has and the rank I should think he's a fairly senior NCO in his battalion.

It could well be India but I wouldn't rule out East Africa. Possibly post WWI.

malcolm99

As he's wearing a Sam Browne but isn't a WO 1 or 2, I wonder if he's actually a colonial police officer.

rangerc

Hi Jonesy,
    Sorry about the URL time out. Try this link - https://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/...edBorn1895.jpg
    Colleen

rangerc

@malcolm99,
    What's a 'Sam Browne'? WO - is that 'warrant officer'.
    Afraid I have no background information at all about this chap.
    Colleen

malcolm99

Hello Colleen

My apologies. A Sam Browne is the leather belt and the strap that goes over the shoulder. It's normally only worn by commssioned officers (i.e. Lieutenant and above).

There's a goodish picture here: tinyurl.com/3h673mv (just put https:// in front).

WO stands for Warrant Officer and a WOI & WOII are (in simple terms) the most senior ranks for a non-commissioned officer. A WOI certainly sometimes wears a Sam Browne when he's in his 'best' uniform.

I said he looked as though he could have been a 'colour' sergeant - the rank actually looks like a 'staff sergeant' - which is a rank above a sergeant and therefore still quite senior.

malcolm99
    Last edited by malcolm99; 20-07-2011 at 8:42 PM. Reason: more words to make it clearer

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast