DianaCanada

Default Ladies' Snookball Team Photo 1910

I have a photo of a ladies' snookball team, probably taken in Heathfield, Sussex or in that area as my great grandmother is in the pic. I wonder if any other members could identify any of the other women or girls? Their ages seem to run from about 12 to late 40's. My great-grandmother, Sarah Ann (Annie) Barden Oliver is third from left in the center row. She was about 43 at the time. The photo was taken in 1910 (inked in on top left).
    Contact me privately if you would like to see the photo (or someone can tell me how to post it here - I have it in jpg format).

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by DianaCanada View Post
    Contact me privately if you would like to see the photo (or someone can tell me how to post it here - I have it in jpg format).
    If you have a read of this thread, it will explain how to upload a photograph using Photobucket.

DianaCanada

Hi, thanks for the helpful suggestion. I have managed to add it to PhotoBucket, but if I post the link here, does the actual photo appear or just the link to PhotoBucket?
    Confused in Canada.

Mutley

To Confused in Canada,
    The actual photo should appear.

DianaCanada

Thanks! Here goes:

DianaCanada

Thanks! I think that snookball may be better known as stoolball. Am not sure where I got the term snookball - can't seem to find any reference to it when I Google.

Mutley

Seems the game originated in Sussex.
    https://
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoolball
    (quote=Traditionally it was played by milkmaids who used their milking
    stools for the purpose.)

Looks like there is an association that maybe worth contacting.

Perhaps in the UK it would 'commonly' be known as rounders?

Loves to help with queries

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    Perhaps in the UK it would 'commonly' be known as rounders?
    It's actually closer to cricket than rounders and is thought to be a forerunner of cricket.

Anita Broad

Default Stoolball Photo 1910

Quote Originally Posted by Jan1954 View Post
    If you have a read of this thread, it will explain how to upload a photograph using Photobucket.
    Hello,
    I've just come across this wonderful stoolball photograph! I am the vice-chair and education & research officer for Stoolball England and I wondered if we might use your photo on our website. Stoolball is still very popular and played regularly. For more info please see www.stoolball.org.uk
    I would be fascinated to know more of your stoolball story and whether you have any other photos. I realise this was posted a long time ago, but hopefully you will get a notification from this post.
    Kind regards.