Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    rockyboy

Phillip
    I will have to go through my information before i reply to what you have sent me. My information regarding Abraham Hart
    is as follows. He was born in 1801, most likely in Rosemary Lane. The name on his marriage record is Eliezer Lazar Birmingham.
    His parents , Leizer/lazarus Hart and Rachel are known on their death records as Leizer Birmingham and Rachel Birmingham.
    What connection they had with Birmingham is yet to be discovered. The first reference to Abraham in the Trade Directory shows
    him at 23 Rosememary Lane.The entry for 1824 shows him in Rosemary Lane at the time of his daughter Rachels birth on 21/1/1824.He had married Isabella, maiden name unknown in 1806 in London. I would hazard a guess that his marriage took place at the
    Great Synagogue of London.Rachel wes either a late child or there were other unrecorded children. The 1841 census shows Rachel
    with her parents in Rosemary Lane. After that she vanishes.She might be somewhere under her Hebrew name Rakela. There are four
    other reference to Abraham as a hatter at 112 Rosemary Lane , 1830,1834,1836,and 1839. Have you come across the possible
    connection to Birmingham circa 1743 to 1752, or Rachel (Rakela) Hart before?
    Regards
    Rockyboy

Unfortunately none of the data I have posted indicates any connection between our lines. The names mean nothing to me and currently they have no link to my Hart or other lines. Unless you have more detailed data to link our families it appears that other than the Aaron Hart executor to Benjamin Hart there are no firm details.
    I will wait and see what else you might have.
    Phillip

Have you cross checked any of your data on the Synagogue and Cemetery Scribes sites? If you look on the sites you can see numerous records relating to Great Synagogue Marriages and there are burials and births including New Synagogue and other records including Wills and secular records. You will note in the records NSB H038 Birth Rachel Hart 1 Jan 1824 Rosemary Lane father Abraham Hebrew name Abraham b Eliezer; GSM069/2 Marriage Hyam Hart father Leib Hatter 23 June 1802 -Elizabeth Hart -father's Hebrew name Lezar.
    You already know about these records but can I suggest you look carefully at the Will records and use the Advanced facility on the site for checking Hebrew names against the data you hold. I can't see a Gt Syn Record for the marriage of Abraham but you may need to check further. Since I have the records of both my Hart lines I cannot see any links at present with your lines but as I stated before it is possible they relate via the siblings of my 4x great grandfather Benjamin and my 4x great grandfather Henry.
    Phillip

I note on the London Gazette Archives 27 Feb 1838 the Court of Insolvent Debtors- Prisoners:
    Abraham Hart formerly of Rosemary Lane Middlesex Hatter then of Chatham Street New York USA Hatter and late of Rosemary Lane Middlesex.

This record suggests that Abraham may have been in one of the London Debtor's Prisons. He had also been in America as the record indicates.
    Phillip

Default ABRAHAM HART- HATTER ROSEMARY LANE

On Post 4 of this topic you mentioned Abraham Hart b 1801 who was transported and died in Australia in 1851. The data on Abraham Hart - hatter of Rosemary Lane who was married to Isabella and had a daughter does not match any Convict Transportation Record I have seen.
    The 1841 Census ( Crown Copyright, TNA)HO107 716 12 16 25 Rosemary Lane records:
    Abraham Hart 44 Hatter; Isabella Hart 35; Rachel Hart 15 all born in County.
    Reference to the Old Bailey Online trials and England and Wales Criminal Registers 1791-1892 records 2 Abraham Hart who were transported:
    Abraham Hart b abt 1788 age 22 trial 17 April 1810; Abraham Hart b abt 1791 age 25 Trial Sept 1816

Neither of these 2 records relate to Abraham Hart of Rosemary Lane -hatter. So, who is the Abraham Hart transported you refer to? Have I missed a record or is your Abraham Hart transported someone else?
    Phillip

rockyboy

Default convict hart

Phillip.
    Sorry my mistake. The convict was Ashers son Lazarus, born in Portsmouth in 1810. He was tried
    in the Old Bailey and transported on the SS York arriving in Sydney on the 7/2/1837. You can read the full transcript of his trial on tne Old Bailey Online Site.
    Regards
    Rockyboy

Peter
    I have seen your many other postings elsewhere including your links to the Rabbi Meyer Rintel and his son Rabbi Moses Rintel. You might want to 'flesh out' the various links to include the Hart relationships. My Henry Hart line does relate via marriage to the family of the Chief Rabbi Dr Nathan Hart via the marriage of Henry Solomon ( son of Bella Hart and Josiah Solomon- Bella is a daughter of Henry and Phoebe Myers) to Frances Solomon ( 1st cousins marrying). Nathan Adler is the uncle of Frances. There are other links via marriage to Adler. I include this data briefly because I know the German and Dutch connections on the lines.
    Similarly, on my Benjamin Hart line via his daughter Rosa and her marriage to Henry Moses there are connections via further marriages in this line of descent to the Gluckstein ( who connect to the Lyon's tea rooms family) and the Joseph/Phillips lines including albeit distantly to Coleman Joseph ( Coenraad Saammes) from whom Nigella Lawson descends. I have not posted on these lines not least because there is a lot of data most of it not based on my own research so I am cautious about sharing data not verified fully.
    Phillip

Default BENJAMIN HART-HATTER BORN BIRMINGHAM

The following information may help both Peter, myself and others begin to make sense of the various relationships between the Hart clothes salesmen; hatters and tailors who were living and trading in Rosemary Lane and Hollywell St from the early 1800s and earlier.
    In previous postings Peter had asked about information linking his Hart lines to Birmingham and the will of Benjamin Hart who died in 1852 ( see Posting on 'Benjamin Hart will summary- died 1852 London'.
    I have looked again at a range of data on the Benjamin Hart lines and noted that is the 1851 Census HO 107 1546 171 21 ( Crown Copyright, TNA) at 127 Rosemary Lane St Mary Whitechapel that there is a Benjamin Hart Unmarried 69 Hatter b Birmingham.
    He is living with ( the record is very poorly written and it is difficult to make out names and other information) Abraham Levi tobacconist and his family but also George Davis is a visitor with his wife Julia and relatives including a Frances Mark? Widow 51 b Middx and her sister Rosetta u a cap maker
    Nb If anybody can help transcribe the data more accurately I would appreciate it.

The Benjamin Hart at the Rosemary Lane address may be the same person who died in 1852 and left a will but did not refer to a wife or children.

However, in the 1841 Census HO 107 716 12 1523 ( Crown Copyright, TNA) at Rosemary Lane there is:
    Benjamin Hart 55 Hatter b in county
    Mary Hart 45 b in county
    Lawrence Hart 4 b in countyy

Is he also the same person in the 1851 census and the person who left a will - it appears that Mary was his wife and Lawrence his son- did they die pre 1851 or is he another hatter with the same name living in the same area?

The website ' London Lives 1690-1800' which contains thousands of records to individuals has the record: Middlesex Sessions- Justice's Working Documents Actions, suits and bonds and includes the record against Elizabeth Hart wife of Benjamin Hart hatter 11 Sept 1793 Parish of St Paul Shadwell Middlesex. Elizabeth in the law case was released ( including her relatives) from any further action by Esther Williams spinster

The same site contains a further record relating to Benjamin Hart Holywell Street salesman 1818- Westminster Poll Books. Votes in Westminster Elections 1749 1820- this record refers to my 4x great grandfather.

It would seem likely that the Benjamin Hart hatter who appears in Pigot 1827-1828 at 122 Rosemary Lane is the same person who appears in the 1851 Census and is the Benjamin Hart in the 1852 will -but this needs confirmation.

There is another element to be considered and that the reference in the 1851 Census ( I will post the records later) to Rosa ( also referred to in the 1841 Census as Rosetta) Moses nee Hart wife of Henry Moses as being born in Rosemary Lane - her father is Benjamin Hart who in the various London Trade Directories appears at Hollywell St from 1807 and is a slop seller at 7 Hollywell St Holden Directory 1814. A key question is therefore whether or not this Benjamin Hart is closely related to the Benjamin Hart hatter and his line- the Rosemary Lane link between the two individuals suggests this maybe the case but further data is needed.
    Phillip

My error regarding the 1851 Census and Benjamin Hart age 69 Hatter b Birmingham- he is living at 127 Leman St and in his will he died at 128 Leman St in 1852. The 128 Leman St address appears to be that of Joseph Leigh and his wife Elizabeth Isaacs ( this is based on Ancestry Com data). This data suggests that Benjamin Hart b abt 1782 in 1851 and the Benjamin Hart who died in 1852 are one in the same.
    Phillip

levy

Phillip and RockyBoy, I think I am a direct descendant of the same Lazerus Hart (Lazerus Hart, Elizabeth Hart, Henry Hyam, Sarah Harriet Hart, Melanie Allemand, Lewis Levy, Leon Levy, Keith Levy, me) Lazerus is my 5th ggf I don't have much info on them but they are in my tree! I have Asher and Elizabeth as Rachel and Lazerus's children.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast