Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default Colombo to England 1933

My Father William Wilson Grant, worked for Wilson Latham & co. in Burma, and in 1933 took leave to travel back to England. He telegraphed a message to my Mother in Ceylon which read " Taking leave from 16th Feb. travelling Colombo Gloucestershire then onwards Rajputana" I have searched this ships arrivals on ancestry can find no mention of him. Is it possible he took another ship. Also in another letter from his Mother in Prestwick Manchester dated 24th March 1933 in which she wrote she was expecting his arrival home tomorrow 25th March 1933, I have checked several other ships arriving in march to no avail.

Coromandel

I see from browsing the Incoming Passenger lists on Ancestry that the Rajputana is shown as arriving in London in March 1933. It might be worth browsing through that list (if you haven't already done so) to see if your father's name is listed there.

I have checked the Rajputana and several other ships arriving in March

Brick wall demolition expert!

I can't see William GRANT on an incoming passenger list in March. There's a William GRANT on an outgoing passenger list travelling on 12 October 1933 from Liverpool to Rangoon, Burma. Age 41.

Not sure that helps any.

He was born in 1902 and his occupation was Merchandising Assistant or Buyer. I think he went back to Burma in either July, August or Sept 1933 on the Ship "NALDERA"

That last post was meant to be Merchantile Assistant or Buyer

Mutley

Have you tried
    www.
    theshipslist.com

The Rajputana was a P & O Ship built in 1925. I've not looked further on there yet.

P.S. Rajputana is also a place, could he have travelled there before returning to England on another ship named something else?
    Last edited by Mutley; 07-07-2011 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Added P.S.

[QUOTE=olliecat;482082]I can't see William GRANT on an incoming passenger list in March. There's a William GRANT on an outgoing passenger list travelling on 12 October 1933 from Liverpool to Rangoon, Burma. Age 41

I think that he disembarked in Marseilles, France then caught the train to Dieppe, then the ferry to Newhaven in Kent Saving several days of sailing time.