Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    wozcav

Default Mystery Death of Local Retired RAILWAY-WORKER

1960 was told by Family in passing that a retired Railway-Worker Uncle had been found dead in his Raiway- Cottage in, Pickering N/Yorks. seemingly murdered. I chased up a few years back but the paper declaring was defunct and sold on and no records survive. I would like to find details but don't know how, we are of STEEL origin is all I can say. Anyone care to advise or Local History-Group track 'Archivals' for us please? Grateful!
    Last edited by wozcav; 06-07-2011 at 3:00 PM. Reason: typo-error

Famous for offering help & advice

One possibility might be the Ryedale Family History Group - and if they can't help, they may well know someone who can.

Arthur

Jan1954

The Railway Ancestors Family History Society would also be a good place to help you.

Coromandel

Do you know the name of the 'Railway-Worker Uncle'? If so I would have thought the best approach would be to get a copy of his death certificate. You should be able to find the GRO index entry via Ancestry's England and Wales 1916-2005 Death Index.

Even if the local newspaper no longer exists, it's likely that there are archived copies at the British Library (at Colindale) and probably also in local studies libraries in the area. Searching through old papers is time-consuming, though: if you can get a date of death from a certificate this will narrow down your search.

thatsnotmyname

I live in the area and have asked a few of my local born and bred friends about your post. They have mentioned a murder but it would have been 1950's, the location of the house is near the railway. I will PM you with the details as I dont want to put any names up.

Jan1954

If you find that an execution was the result of any trial, please let me know via PM. I have information about executions in the 20th century, which may also provide further information.

wozcav

Thanks DB, as far as known, no person/perpetrator found, so no Trial/Execution resulting in this. Appreciate your offer regardless!

Liane Hawes

Hi Wozcav

As suggested above have you now received the death cert. Reason I am asking is that I am heading to the British Newspaper library archives tomorrow and would happily do a look up for you if you had managed to narrow down the date.

wozcav

Hi Liane, Sorry, stalled on this as still trying to trace his Sister who is my M.i.L so presume he was STEEL but, lack of Family facts and actual names/dates prevent progress! However, a Subscriber here says they have some information regarding and I await a PM from them declaring. armed with same, I can hopefully then search for details? I greatly appreciate your kind offer and interest here and say thanks with sincere apologies for such. M.

Liane Hawes

No worries. If you ever want me to look for the newspaper report let me know as I will happily have a delve one Saturday.

Liane

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast