Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Railway Porter

Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Railway Porter

Apologies if I should know the answer to this question. I have read through the posts but as usual I never feel confident that I know what to do.

I have a great uncle Albert Godfrey who worked as a railway porter. He lived 1883-?1949. We have photos of him in his uniform and his occupation (railway porter) is recorded on his wife's death certificate(1972).

Albert lived in Street, Bristol and Avonmouth. Do you think these areas would be covered by the Great Western Railway and would records be available for 'porters'?
    Any help to point me in the right direction would be appreciated.
    With thanks ELMA

Bertie

I would say GWR was most likely. Have you had a look at:

www.
    berksfhs.org.uk/journal/Sep2003/Staff_records_of_the_GWR.htm

They list a variety of possible sources. Also wikipedia has a long entry.
    Last edited by Mutley; 02-07-2011 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Removed direct link, FHS sites sell stuff, google it.

Reputation beyond repute

For railway staff records, you need to have a look at this Research Guide

Wikipedia is handy for sorting out the right company. Try "xxxxx railway station"

Loves to help with queries

Hi
    It is possible that he was employed by the Midland and/or it's predecessors.
    Glastonbury/Street was on the Somerset and Dorset which became part of the Midland and Avonmouth was on a joint GWR/Midland railway line.
    Temple Meads in Bristol was a large station complex with a number of companies operating from different parts of it.
    Railway employees didn't usually change companies except when they were taken over.

Thanks StintonLomas
    I thought it was not going to be straight forward. Maybe one for the back burner, or for when I am very bored
    ELMA

Nicolina

you can always try searching under British Rail. If I remember correctly, all rail companies had been amalgamated under the British Rail banner before then.
    Also as a Porter he might not have been attached to a particular station. Porters also relieved at stations and railway crossings.

Famous for offering help & advice

Have you seen this thread? I would think there's a fair chance of him showing up in the records in Swindon.

Arthur

Jan1954

You may also find that the Railway Ancestors Family History Society could be of immense help.

Thanks Arthurk and Jan1954
    I have lots to think about and will go through all these suggestions.
    It is a pity I have no concrete dates. Up until the end of WW1 I know Albert was not working for the railways and he died in ?1949. The death certificate of his wife is 23 years later and that records his occupation as a railway porter. I do not have his death certificate but we do have many photos of him in uniform and older family members remember him working on the railway. Maybe I am going to have to find out more about him between 1918-1949 and then my search will be easier. One reason I want to do this is, I want to make sure I have the right date of death. Family seem to think he died later than this. Too few clues I must start again with him. I am grateful for all the helpful suggestions and across the summer I will tackle them and to think I was at the Swindon Railway Museum a month or so ago.
    Thanks again ELMA

I have just looked at Albert's photo of him in uniform and the cap looks like it has 4 letters on starting with L. Does that mean anything.
    ELMA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast