kermie62

Default Finally found address

I have been trying to find out the address for my great x 4 grandfathers houses in Linkfield lane for years without success. Tonight after some sideways thinking I finally found it

His second wife died in 1881 before the census but I knew the cottages names and with some hunting found the three cottages in 1881 with new people living in them. I then found one of them in 1891 with new neighbours and then one of the new nieghbours in again in 1901.

By 1911, they stopped using the names of the houses so I was stumped and couldnt tell which house it was because they had introduced numbers. I then went along all the people who were living in the street and looking for hold ons from 1901. It seemed that there was a high turnover of people but found one 6 houses down, 8 houses down and one 10 houses down. The numbers fitted in the right pattern and there was an pub nearby so I checked the pattern prediucted number against the address on the internet and it confimed the pattern.

Only took 5 hours on the internet but it feels so great to be able to solve a problem like this. I am avoiding going to the google streetview so I can see it it in person, be just my luck to find a vacant block.

pennydog

Good sleuthing Kermie - it feels really good when all those hours of hard fathoming fit together. I admire your restraint in not using streetview, not sure that I would have that amount of willpower. Enjoy every moment when you do get there.