Dorset Girl

Default Never trust the spelling of a surname!!!

When hunting never rely on either Ancestry or FMP coming up with alternative possibilities! In 1871 George Reeves was just that - it has taken days to find him in 1861 and 1851 - and this is why.
    1861 - Ancestry - REVES
    1861 - FMP - READ

1851 - Ancestry - REIVES
    1851 - FMP - REWES
    None of these names came up in the searches - however vague I made them!
    Hard slogging but at least another (knee high) brickwall smashed!
    Marion

LittleSpark

Yes, it is amazing how surnames are mistranscribed - they've caused me many a headache over the years but with a little perseverance it's so rewarding when you find that elusive family member.
    So well done Marion for smashing down another brickwall.

Sheila

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Well done, Dorset Girl!

I would always recommend searching the census without entering any surname at all -- assuming your provider allows it, and you have enough other information to search on.

Nicolina

well done. It is so rewarding when you make sense of some of those ridiculous mis-spellings. One of my main lines is ILES for which I have a long list of alternate spellings but one ancestor kept eluding me until I found him as JILES. I still haven't worked out where the J came from.

spison

Excellent News Dorset Girt! One of my Jones family was transcribed - it was dreadful writing - as James and one of my Isons has been left off Ancestry completely for 1841. I only found them by reading the whole village. (Thank goodness it wasn't Warrington and Manchester where the Joneses hide!)
    Jane

Jeuel

My own sister in law's surname is misindexed in the marriage indexes as Searce instead of Pearce! No idea how, the S isn't near the P on the keyboard.

As for mistranscriptions in the census, my favourite would be Howard for Stevens - not a single letter the same. I only found the Stevens because a son with a different surname was staying with them!

My grandfather's first name was Jeuel and its wrong on every census (not now, as I've sent in amendments!). My ex's gt x 2 grandfather Zusman is recorded as
    Zusman Zuzman Guzman Luisman Tesman Zuseman and Zuesman!