DianaCanada

Default 1851 Census Look-up Market Harborough

If someone could find this family on the 1851 census for Market Harborough, that would be wonderful: John GOODMAN, wife Sarah, and possibly step-children by the name of KERSLEY or similar spelling. Sarah was b. Overton, Hampshire and probably in her 30's. Probably at least 2 Kersley children - Harriet and George. Thanks!

olvlynn

Smile census 1851 Great Bowden

Have found your family in Great Bowden, Saint Mary Road.
    John b 1813 Mkt Harborough was a wool carder
    Sarah b 1815 Overton
    Elizabeth b 1834 and Mary Ann b 1835 both in Mkt Harborough were Worsted spinners
    Martha 1841 Mkt Harborough
    Other children mentioned (as children in law rather than step children)
    Mary Kersley b 1839 John kersley b 1840 and george Kersley b 1844 all in Overton.
    Hope this helps.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Smile

Just to clarify this reply. Reference to Overton means Overton, Hampshire which is what the image actually shows. There is no Overton in Leicestershire. Interesting though because Overton is about 120 miles away from Great Bowden. Quite a long stretch for those times!
    "People will not look forward to posterity who never look backward to their ancestors.” Edmund Burke

nerakcats

Default John And Sarah Goodman

HI
    I have been doing my family tree for about 2-3 years now and came across this site today. John Goodman is my G G G Grandfather. He was born 1810 in Market Harborough and his first wife was Hannah Walden with whom he had about 5 children with, John, George, Elizabeth, Mary Ann and Martha. He was widowed and then married Sarah Kersley (nee Wiltshire) who was born in Overton. They had 2 children Alfred (1857, Leeds) and Sarah (1852, Market Harborough) This Sarah is my G G Grandmother. If you would like any other information I will try to help you.
    Karen (Leeds)