Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Loves to help with queries

Quote Originally Posted by Alby65 View Post
    opps, meant Blanche Shepard and she was first to Joseph Flood and the son Frederick (deceased in 1988) was from their marriage. Looks like John & Blanche only had a daughter...so much for a living Martin, but at least I found living cousins!
    John Martin had a son, James E. Martin who was born in Kearny, New Jersey and died in World War II. Not sure if he was the son of Blanche Sheppard Flood or another mother. My belief from previous stories is that John Martin (son of Alexander and Elizabeth Mahood) was married twice. Also, seems Joan is Blanche's daughter but not a Flood...trying to figure out if she was a Martin or Blanche had her with another man. One question answered and another couple opened!

Looking for James E. Martin's world war 2 information that maybe can lead me to his mother, if he was married and had children and so on.

As always, any and all help is greatly appreciated.

bamagirl

Hi, Alby.

Can you give us an idea where you found your existing info? U.S Census from which years? Do you know if he served in the military? He would be the right age to have served in WWI. Also, check adjoining towns, counties, and states. Folks in the first half of the 20th century moved around quite a bit, especially during the Depression and War years.

Good luck.
    Barb

[QUOTE=bamagirl;495481]Hi, Alby.

Can you give us an idea where you found your existing info? U.S Census from which years? Do you know if he served in the military? He would be the right age to have served in WWI. Also, check adjoining towns, counties, and states. Folks in the first half of the 20th century moved around quite a bit, especially during the Depression and War years.

I found a distant cousin who is the grand daughter of Blanche Flood Martin (her dad was one of Blanche's children Frederick). She remember John martin that he was married before and had a son James E. martin who died in World War II before she was born. Seems the family pretty much stayed in the Hudson county area but can't seem to find the first wife of John Martin or confirm records of James E. Martin. Though his name is on the memorial in Kearny NJ. Any help is always appreciated!!!

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi again

Am sure you have seen these (probably belong to your distant cousin) but in case not - Ancestry have a family tree with a John Alexander plus WW1 draft card, 1920 US census with wife Anna and various photos. At least am assuming your John, am unable to check full record so could be wrong.

The 1920 census might show children. Blanche seems to be with Joseph Flood in 1930 so you could check for John Alexander and James E in 1930.

Thanks grisel; I saw their tree on Ancestry, but can't verify yet if Anna was the first wife and mother of James I'm still working on that one. Weird how I can find Blanche and Joseph Flood everywhere but not John and James! I did find living relatives of Blanche (Joan Haran which seems to be John's daughter) and Joan's children who are living. I put an email out to them, but haven't heard back from them...keeping my fingers crossed they will return my message as I'm sure they have the answers to my questions; otherwise I'm not sure where else to look.

Thanks all for the help!

Still searching for John Martin's first wife mother of James E. Martin who died in world war II.

In the meantime, looking for John's sister Ethel Martin born 1896 in England, came over with the Martin family and last found in 1910 in Harrison New Jersey. Cousin found a bible that has her name in it as Ethel Dykes...not sure if that was a middle name (though never listed as having one) or is her married name....any suggestions?

Seems harder to track information in New Jersey than overseas!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alby65 View Post
    Still searching for John Martin's first wife mother of James E. Martin who died in world war II.

In the meantime, looking for John's sister Ethel Martin born 1896 in England, came over with the Martin family and last found in 1910 in Harrison New Jersey. Cousin found a bible that has her name in it as Ethel Dykes...not sure if that was a middle name (though never listed as having one) or is her married name....any suggestions?

Seems harder to track information in New Jersey than overseas!!
    I Believe James E. Martin was born in 1924 in New Jersey and was enlisted in the Army in 1943; think he may have died in 1943 or missing in action.

Great news, we found James E. Martin son of John Alexander Martin and his mother was Anna Murphy who was born in NY in 1898 to parents of Patrick and Cecelia. James was born in 1921 in Kearny NJ and died Novembver 2, 1944 in World War II. He was with the 334th Bomber Squadron in the US Army Airforce and is buried in Belgium...unfortunately he was single with no dependents!

Now search John's sisters: Ellen Jane Martin, born February 15, 1890 in Barrow in Furness, England and Death January 2, 1925 in New Jersey, USA.

Ethel Martin born Feb 24th 1896 in Barrow in Furness, England. Found a bible that has her name as "Ethel Dykes" not sure if Dykes was a a middle name or married name.

Last know address for both was in 1910 living with their parents, both listed as single at 536 Harrison Avenue, Harrison, NJ. One of them was commited to the Laurel Hill Sanitarium not sure who and what happened to them. Can't find them after that!

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to this site I have been able to find out so much about my family! Thanks so much!

Famous for offering help & advice

Hello again. Glad you found him at last.

I checked Cumbria BMD and Ethel was registered as Ethel Martin, no middle name. Other children Christina 1883, mary 1885, Jessie 1887, Elizabeth 1889, Ellen Jane 1891, Edith May 1893. (All mother's name Mahood)

You have probably seen this - On Ancestry there seems to be a tree with photos of an Ethel Dykes Martin b 1895
    Also a tree of an Ethel Martin b1896 Death new Jersey ( Stevenson family tree)

Yes I did see that, they actually got that from me! Searching the 1940 census to see if I cn find her anywhere. Any leads would be great! Amazing how much easier it is to trace things in England/Ireland, etc vs the USA!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12