hitch37

Default Dr Sydney Rutherford

My Uncle Syd was knocked down by a vehicle in France in August 1976. Where would I find any announcement of his death. His home was in Dorset near Weymouth.

Hitch 37

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by hitch37 View Post
    My Uncle Syd was knocked down by a vehicle in France in August 1976. Where would I find any announcement of his death. His home was in Dorset near Weymouth.
    Hi hitch37 and welcome.

Is this your uncle?

www.
    ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1687400/pdf/brmedj00526-0067.pdf

There is a matching death listed in the GRO Indices. However, I thought I'd check with you first, since you say he died in August, but the Sydney Rutherford in the obituary above died in May.

hitch37

Default Uncle Syd

Hi Olliecat,

He is my Uncle but it maybe there's an incorrect date in my notebook re the month of his death. It was 1976

Thanks for your suggestion

Hitch 37

hitch37

Thanks. I look forward to hearing more

Hitch 37

Thanks. I look forward to hearing more
    I didn't find anything else relating to the details of his death, apart from the obituary which I gave you a link for in post #3. I thought you may want the GRO index details, in case you ever decided to order his death certificate.

RUTHERFORD, Sydney Tilson
    Year: 1976
    Volume: C
    Page: 121
    Age 70
    GRO Death Abroad Indices (1966 to 1994)

I came across a couple of other tidbits, which you may have seen already. Here he is age 5 with his parents in the 1911 ireland census...

www.
    census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Westmeath/Athlone_West_Urban/Goldsmith_Terrace/876638/

There is a also a transcription of the baptism of one his children at Firbeck, on this site here...

www.
    genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/Misc/Transcriptions/WRY/FirbeckBaptisms1920-1949.html

hitch37

Hi Ollie,

Thanks for your reply.I am having difficulty in opening the link. Can you advise?

H

Hi Ollie,

Thanks for your reply.I am having difficulty in opening the link. Can you advise?
    Hi Hitch, that could be because the links I have posted on this thread have been split into two lines. I.e.

www.
    ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1687400/pdf/brmedj00526-0067.pdf

The reason for splitting the link over two lines is to prevent it from becoming clickable. This is just to be on the safe side, since posting direct clickable links to sites with advertising is not allowed on this forum. You shouldn't have any problems if you join the two lines together; the www. with ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1687400/pdf/brmedj00526-0067.pdf

However, since the link to the obituary goes straight to a PDF I don't really need to split it. So here it below as full clickable link...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...00526-0067.pdf

bluestockingdaisy

Hello. I was a very close friend of your uncle in the 70's when he was a GP in Finchley, he was known as John.I have many details and photos, I went to his funeral in Yeovil. Happy to hear from you if you are interested.

hitch37

Hello B S Daisy,
    It was good to find your thread. I hadn't looked at the site for yonks. I'd be delighted if you'd be happy to share what you knew about Syd/John - no one in our family knew him as John! Do you have a record of the date of his funeral? Or indeed his date of death? Are the circumstances of the traffic accident known - or reported anywhere? I am struggling to remember why our family wasn't represented at the funeral. Syd was my Dad's middle brother of 3. Best wishes,

Hitch