Super Moderator

Default 2 Grove Road, Richmond

Not sure if I am posting this in the correct Forum.

I am trying to find out if 2 Grove Road, Richmond was a residential house in 1947, or perhaps a nursing home or hospital.

I have a death certificate and this is the address of the deceased.

I have checked Google maps but the car wizzed past and so I can't see if this number still exists.

Would anyone know or have access to electoral rolls so could tell me who was resident around this time.

Coromandel

The Hospital Records Database has an entry referring to Grove Road Hospital (closed 1974), which was formerly the Richmond Institution and before that the Richmond Union workhouse and infirmary. I haven't yet found a precise street address for it. Perhaps old street directories will help?

Coromandel

It is marked 'Richmond P.L. Inst.' (Poor Law Institution) on this map of c.1940:

https://www.
    maps-of-london.com/map-richmond-7.jpg

(in the top left-hand corner of the square labelled 'Q')

Reputation beyond repute

My 1920s street map shows it unambiguously as Union Workhouse & Infirmary.

murfbox

It was a hospital in March 1943. I was born there.

hilaryjane0

Default 2 Grove Road Richmond

I too have just received a death certificate - 1933 -with this address, so I think it must have been a hospital - my ancestor had a drapery business in Weybridge, Surrey at the time, so not quite sure why he came all the way to Richmond! I live close to Richmond so will try and find the address next time I am there.

Reputation beyond repute

If you look at the workhouses web site you'll see that "little survives other than the former entrance lodge.". There's a photo.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

In 1904, the Registrar General decided that where a child was born in the workhouse, there need no longer be any indication of this on the birth certificate. Instead, the place of birth could be recorded as an ordinary street address, either a real one or a pseudonymous one invented for the purpose. From around 1920, the same practice was later also adopted for the death certificates of those who died in the workhouse.

https://www.workhouses.org.uk/addresses/

Is this the history of the site

https://ezitis.myzen.co.uk/groveroad.html

Banned

The workhouse ceased operation in August 1836 when the inmates were transferred to the new Richmond union workhouse on Grove Road in Richmond. The property was then let and became known as the Manor House until its demolition in 1961.
    I think it was probably the workhouse by what the above sentences mentions.