Yeates

Default 1940 US census release in 2012

I want to be sure everyone who had ancestors immigrate to the USA know that the 1940 US census is to be released 2 Apr 2012.

This US National Archives site provides official information:
    www.
    archives.gov/research/census/1940/

I have reviewed the questions on the 1940 as outlined on this site, and it is going to be juicy. For example, it will indicate who in the household provided the information. It will list persons if absent from home when the enumerator was there (boy, would that have helped answer some questions for my family in earlier UK censuses…) It will list the salary of the head of household; how many weeks worked in 1939. And, this is most relevant in the US at the time, what language was spoken in home in earliest childhood (Polish, in my mother’s family.)

This is the post depression, but leading into WWII census for the US. It should be most revealing.
    Yeates

Cheryl Jones

Yeates,
    At its original release, one had to use the tools provided to find the correct ED and street. But that wasn't always easy. Many of the states are now indexed, which is a blessing. Still, for the ones that aren't, it's a chore. Searching directories for a year close to 1940 usually is helpful (unless they moved frequently).

It's a wonderful addition.
    Cheryl

Yeates

Cheryl: Yes, the US1940 is fascinating, but so far, even when knowing the ED from a 1930 has led to some success, some wasted time. One day, sure I had the correct ED, I scanned about 30 record pages with no luck---on a "slow" computer. Oh well. I am sure each month we will get closer to more complete indexing.
    It is a good idea to check every few months on databases I have had little success with, as updates and improvements do take place. Just last week I had a surprise find because (unbeknownst to me until then) ancestry.com updated their National Probate Calendar from 1941 to now include up to 1966. Therefore, all of a sudden, there appeared before me my great grandfather's probate record. I had not been able to find his death record before now. Reading between the lines, as they say, I was able to get much information and several more clues when researching this allusive man.
    Regards,
    Yeates