p.mca

Default Wilkinson, Isabella c 1791, Durham.

Have just obtained the poorhouse record for my GGG Grandmother above, which confirms for me finally where she was born, i.e. Durham, England. IGI has a birth in 1791 with father William, but I have no way of knowing whether this is her or not. She married an Irishman Hugh Davidson and they lived most of their lives in Stevenston, Ayrshire, Scotland, since at least 1819 (recorded in the Landsborough list of that year). Does anyone have any information about this woman? Thank you.

birdlip

Hi there,

it's always hard to know if 'Durham, England ' means the city or the county too, isn't it? The IGI baptism is in Gateshead, which narrows it down a bit, but as you say, you don't know if it's her or not. Wilkinson is a very common name, and the entry you're looking at doesn't give the mothers name either.

Do you have any more clues? Who were the witnesses at the marriage? What were the names of Isabella's children?
    Are there any other Wilkinson's in Stevenston that were born in Durham? I'm thinking if Isabella married in Scotland, it's possible she moved there with her family as a child, and may have brothers and sisters lurking around in the records that might give you a stronger link?

birdlip

Hi again,

I had a look for their children, and found nine born 1820-1840 in Stevenston, is this right? Then two earlier children;

John b 12 Feb 1816 Straiton, Ayrshire
    Isabella b 19 Aug 1817 Kilmarnock, Ayrshire

Where did they marry?