Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Greg Whyte

Default Joseph James White born about 1829 Dorset

I'm hoping people may be able to provide me with information regarding Joseph White, son of James (a coppersmith) and Jane, born 7 June 1829, Parish of St Saviour, Southwark, County Surrey.

I suspect he may be the first male of my family line in Australia, a Joseph James White (Whyte) who claims to have arrived in South Australia in 1853 aboard the ship William Stewart. He married Ann Johnson

Adelaide hospital admissions records, prior to his death in 1903 at Moonta, South Australia, indicate he was born in Somersetshire. However, it is known he settled at Way (Sheringa), South Australia in his latter years and this seems to have been with a James White born c1834 in Surrey. It seems highly likely they were closely related, possibly brothers?

It is also interesting that the Joseph White named herein had a father who was a coppersmith. The family are known to have been extensively involved in copper mining in South Australia. May be just a coincidence, maybe not?

Any further information on this particular Joseph White and his family would be gratefully appreciated.

Greg Whyte

Moderator Note: Please read from #post 14 regarding change of birthplace.
    Last edited by Mutley; 20-12-2011 at 7:05 PM. Reason: Added a note

Brick wall demolition expert!

Hi Greg
    I have moved your thread from "Brit-Gen News" to the "Surrey" forum, as I think it is more appropriate there.
    If you would prefer it to be placed in a different forum, then please let me or one of the other moderators know.

Richard1955

Hi Greg
    familysearch.org has the birth of Joseph of the same date with parents James and Jane.
    Also a James born in Southwick in 1834 of different parents.
    I'll try and find them on the census.

malcolm99

Have you seen this family in the 1841 Census?

Address: Duke Street, Bethnal Green, Middlesex.

James White, age 50, Coppersmith, not born in Middlesex
    Jane White, age 48, not born in Middlesex
    James White, age 27, not born in Middlesex
    George White, age 17, born in Middlesex
    Thomas White, age 15, born in Middlesex

1841 Census: HO 107 Piece 691 Book 10 Folio 26 page 18
    (Record in care of TNA: Crown Copyright)

malcolm99

Re my previous post – Thomas son of James and Jane White of Charter House Lane was baptised at St Andrew Holborn on 9th July 1826. He was born on 18th June 1826. Father’s occupation: "Copper-Smith".

malcolm99

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Whyte View Post
    Joseph White, son of James (a coppersmith) and Jane, born 7 June 1829, Parish of St Saviour, Southwark, County Surrey.
    I've just quickly rechecked the baptism entry and I've noticed that although Joseph was baptised on 7th June, he was actually born on 16th May 1829 (but I suspect you probably know that already!).

malcolm99

Greg Whyte

Thanks Malcolm99. I cannot previously recall seeing this family in the 1841 census. If this is Joseph James White's family, then I assume he would appear as a 12yo, having been born 1829.

Regards
    Greg

Greg Whyte

Dear Malcolm99

I've obtained a new lead. I'm hoping you may be able to help track down details of the marriage of James White to Isabella Wright which I believe occurred in Surrey circa 1855. I am quite sure James White (born c1833) is the brother of Joseph James White/Whyte born c1829. If I can find out the parents of James White, then I will have found the parents of Joseph James White, provided I can then establish they were brothers.

Cheers
    Greg Whyte

Mutley

I cannot see Joseph on the passenger list for the William Stuart which arrived in Adelaide, Australia in July 1853.

Though there is an Ann Johnson, age 31, domestic servant born in Middlesex!

Seeing as you have spelt the ship's name as Stewart, do I have the right ship?

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Whyte View Post
    I've obtained a new lead. I'm hoping you may be able to help track down details of the marriage of James White to Isabella Wright which I believe occurred in Surrey circa 1855.
    Although not in Surrey, is this one a possibility? (Although we don't know who married whom from the index) ...

Marriages Sep 1856 Greenwich 1d 927
    William Joseph Sallitt
    James White
    Melinda Rose Woodford
    Isabella Wright

I'll see if I can find Mr. Sallitt in the census to see if he married Melinda or Isabella.

Edit: From the census, it appears that William Joseph Sallitt married Melinda Rose Woodford and so this means that James and Isabella married (assuming that the index is correct of course.)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast