DaveinInskip

Default more Latin translations please

Hello Scribes,more help with Latin please, 1626 in Kirkham,Lancashire, doing Baptisms and have come across the following entry.

Joha f Arther vir quis ecleho (or eclcho) et Issabell Greenacres.

I have tried on line translations one of which came up with

"man who is ecleho" which could mean that the father of this child is a man of the cloth,would anyone agree with this,or am i clutching at straws.

Dave in Inskip

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by DaveinInskip View Post
    Joha f Arther vir quis ecleho (or eclcho) et Issabell Greenacres.
    A bit of googling confirms that Arthur GREENACRES was the vicar of Kirkham at this date. So I'd suggest that vir quis ecleho might just be a misreading/mistranscription of vicarius ecclesie (or some similar phrase), meaning vicar of the church.

Extracted from "Remains Historical & Literary connected with the Palatine Counties of Lancaster and Chester" (Chetham Society, 1874, page 76)
    ARTHUR GREENACRES, M.A., 1598-1627.
    Presented to the vicarage on the 17th August 1598 by Cuthbert Sharpies (son of John Sharpies), of Orford, in Warrington, yeoman.
    Arthur Greenacres was twice married. His first wife, Judith, was buried at Kirkham on the 10th May 1607 ; their son John having died on the 3rd February 1600. His second wife was Isabel Tomlinson, to whom he was married (see chapter VI.) on the 21st April 1616, and had issue Ralph (died 1641), Sara (baptised 1617), Benjamin (died of the great sickness in 1631), Jacob (baptised 1622) and John (baptised 1626).
    He died in September 1627, and was buried at Kirkham on the 21st September. His widow survived him many years, and in 1646 she was practising as a "midwife," and described as a "godly woman." (See p. 79.) She died in February 1658-59.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrywood View Post
    vir quis ecleho might just be a misreading/mistranscription of vicarius ecclesie
    Thinking a bit more about the handwriting at this date, it may be ...

vic huius eclesie
    ( = vicar of this church)

DaveinInskip

Default latin translations

Hello Kerrywood,and thanks for your excellent reply,I had not thought of a connection between Arther and Greenacres.

My thanks again and regards

Dave in Inskip