Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Real idiot needs help!

In a recent thread of mine (where did he go?), Mutley mentions a couple of wills of which I would love to obtain copies. I have read the sticky on Wills and checked out the links for further guidance. Sorry to be so dense but even having read the idiot guide to wills, I'm still not sure where I go from the info Mutley provided to actually ordering copies of the wills.
    Please could some kind person tell me my next step.

Carol

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I think Mutley must have gone to bed, like all sensible hounds.

Copies of wills proved from 1858 onwards can be purchased from the Probate Registry. Unless you live near a district probate registry and can visit, the easiest method is to order by post from York (£5.00 each will). There is no online ordering service. Instructions here.

Note that the grant for James Cartmel BAMBER appears to be an Administration only, not a will, so it may not tell you anything you don't already know.
    Last edited by Kerrywood; 10-06-2011 at 12:02 AM. Reason: addition

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Inflation has finally caught up with the Probate Office.
    According to this link, it's now £6.00 for the first copy and a further £1 for every additional copy (of the same will).

Scroll down to 'What if I cannot get to First Avenue House or a Registry?'

I'll send feedback re the discrepancy in the amount on this page https://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/cms/1226.htm#009
    Well, I was going to but the 'contact us/feedback' links from that page seem obsolete. Will have a go via the new pages.
    Pam

Well spotted, Pam! It must be a very recent increase, because I paid £5.00 only a couple of weeks ago. Had I seen it coming I would have bought in bulk.

More to the point, the address has changed, from York to Leeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrywood View Post
    More to the point, the address has changed, from York to Leeds.
    Ooops, missed that bit.
    Though I did manage to get an email addy to send off my request for either the amount to be amended or the 'old' page to be 'deleted' but left with a link to the new page.
    Will wait until they reply - just been advised in their acknowledgement that it should be within 10-15 working days.

p.s. to Carol -
    Perhaps not such a stupid question after all, because we've learnt some very valuable information.
    Pam

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Perhaps not such a stupid question after all, because we've learnt some very valuable information.
    Absolutely! Full marks to Carol.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Thanks everyone - not as daunting as I first thought. Re James Bamber and the Administration - would this be because he died unexpectedly,without leaving a will?

Quote Originally Posted by carolchipp View Post
    Re James Bamber and the Administration - would this be because he died unexpectedly,without leaving a will?
    Quite likely. The GRO death index records his age as 33, and the value of his estate was modest.

A very nice chap called Benny and I have been exchanging various emails today about the new postal address and price when you apply for wills.

I quote

This is the comments from the webteam:
    "The old page is obsolete and must be disregarded. The temporary rebranding of CourtFinder and FormFinder pending the new design has lead to an old copy of the HMCS site being available with HMCTS branding. This is being deleted but at the moment Google picks it up. The only information that should be used is on https://www.justice.gov.uk/guidance/courts-and-tribunals/courts/probate/copies-of-grants-wills.htm"
    And from his final email, confirming everything:

1. Use that link. It's the most up to date.
    2. Yes it's £6 now if you do the search and order the copy. If they do the search, it's £6 for a 4 year period search, there is a further search fee of £4 for each subsequent 4 year period searched
    3. Leeds is the correct postal address.
    Pam