Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    FredW

Default William REGAN / RAGAN

Hello,

William REGAN / RAGAN arrived on the Convict vessel: 'Hillsborough' Master: William Hingston Origin: 23 Dec 1798 Portland Roads Destination: 26 Jul 1799 Sydney

William's middle name may have been Newgate and possible year of birth is 1776.

William is not on the Transportation Database for some reason. That database would list the length of his sentence and where he was convicted.

I hope someone can find those details for me. Thanks.

Regards,

Fred

Geoffers

Was he definitely a convict? Without knowing more detail, could he have been a crewmember who was discharged on arrival?

This TNA research guide on Transportation to Australia may give you ideas for research, some of which are available online.

Knowledgeable and helpful

According to the convict muster rolls (free to view on Ancestry), he was sentenced to 7 years. Can't find anything else yet.

Just found - he was tried in London. I'll keep looking.

Geoffers

I cannot see a sentence for transportation there, but perhaps he had previously been tried at the Old Bailey in 1797? -
    William REGAN, sentenced to 6mths.

FredW

Hello Geoffers,

Thanks. Yes, 100% sure he was a convict and arrival vessel is known so I don't know why he is one of the many missing from the database:

The British Convict transportation registers 1787-1867 database has been compiled from the British Home Office (HO) records which are available on microfilm. You can find details for over 123 000 of the estimated 160 000 convicts transported to Australia in the 18th and 19th centuries - names, term of years, transport ships and more.

Regards,

Fred

FredW

Hello carolchipp,

Thanks. That's interesting. Wonder why some Australian researchers have added a middle name of Newgate. Possibly a way of indicating he was the one tried in The Old Bailey.

Regards,

Fred

FredW

Hello,

There are 6 other convicts with the name William REGAN, not all from England, who arrived later on the following vessels: Captain Cook, Asia, Isabella, Minerva, Hero, Sir John Falstaff. I can't see and Ticket of leave or Pardon, etc... for the one per Hillsborough. I also can't find a Permission to Marry - children born abt 1805, 1810 & 1815.

Regards,

Fred

just had a closer look - he was tried January 1798 but I still can't find any details.

A possibility - but I don't know if it's likely such a mistake would have been made - January 1798 London, a WILLIAM RADON was convicted of stealing a silver tablespoon and 3 silver teaspoons - sentenced to seven years transportation. I suppose finding, or not finding, William Radon as a convict would help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast