qltr

Default Dorothy (Emma) Stokes

I posted my questions today in the wrong place - under private messages and addressed to myself - qltr. (Not my best day.) Can it be rescued from oblivion and placed here or should I rewrite the entire message and start over again?

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Go to your sent messages box, you should find message still there, copy/paste switch to the forum you want & paste/post away.
    Similarly, if it's still in your email, copy same to notepad or whatever find the forum you want & paste it there.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

qltr

Settling in.

Thanks

Default Dorothy (Emma) Stokes

Dorothy (b. 1883) in Aston, Warwickshire. Parents were Richard. Stokes and Emma (Randell?/Allan?) Siblings were Alfred (1891-1916), Richard (1881-?) and Robert J. (1886-?).

She is listed in the UK 1891 and UK 1901 Census living with her father and siblings.

Someone previously suggested she married Thomas Druce & died in 1924. This has proven not to be correct. It has also been suggested she married James Hartopp but I do not think that is correct either. (We never heard that she married.) The only other family info we know are 1. she was a nurse and 2. she died in the war. Originally we thought that meant WWI when her brother Alfred died but my sister has found a photo of her on a ship in c. 1930 with what looks to be the George Washington bridge in the background.

I found her name (Dorothy Stokes) listed on the Manifests of Aliens Employed on the Vessel as Members of the Crew of the steam ship SS Majestic (White Star line). She is listed as a nurse on the following 6 crossings: Oct. 1929, Dec. 1929, May 1930, August 1930, Nov. 1930, May 1931.

I cannot locate her between 1901 when she was living with her father and siblings and 1929 - the first time she shows up as a nurse on the Majestic. I also cannot locate her after 1931 (except maybe in the undated photo). Besides both UK and US Census, I have checked nursing schools, WWI nursing sites, White Star lines history sites (mostly Titanic info), a charming 1927 newsreel of passengers on board the Majestic.

To sum up- What happened during her missing years of 1901 and 1929. and what happened after her last crossing (that I could find) in 1931.

Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions.