Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    marianne Faull

Default St Oswald's Old Swan, Liverpool.

Seeking information of headstone inscriptions at St Oswalds' cemetery Old Swan, for the surname of SHARPLES.
    Burial records from Ancestry.com have provided the church.
    I believe a book by D E Gardner, volume 3 contains what I may need, but I am finding it difficult to locate for a lookup or purchase, can anyone help please?

Richard1955

Hi Marieanne
    You could try contacting the church to ask if they know of a source.
    https://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Liverpool/Old-Swan/index.html
    Perhaps your local library can find a copy of the book.
    or google the name of the book and see if there are any for sale.

Coromandel

I'm not sure if this has been published in book form, Marianne. The LDS Family History Library catalogue has a reference to something called 'Liverpool Epitaphs'. From what I can gather this is a typed transcript of manuscripts by David Ensign Gardner ('transcribed and typed by the Family History Library British Reference missionary staff'). They also have microfilm of what may be the original manuscripts, with the title Liverpool Monumental Inscriptions. I cannot tell from these catalogue entries whether these are the complete set. You should be able to order copies of microfilms via LDS Family History Centers.

If you don't have an FHC near you, perhaps you could try contacting the Liverpool History Projects folk,
    https://www.
    liverpoolhistoryprojects.co.uk/
    since they mention D.E. Gardner's monumental inscriptions so may have access to them or know where to find them.

marianne Faull

Thanks Richard & Coromandel, I've tried Google, ebay etc, with no luck so far. LDS is next step. St Oswalds registers not on Lancs OPC.
    They are online at Ancestry.com, but linking the various families is proving quite a nightmare & headstone inscriptions (if they exist) may help.
    thanks again.

Southport

You are unlikely to be able to buy a copy of this book as there appears to be only one typescript copy which is held by Liverpool City Library. It is not a published book. David Ensign GARDNER copied inscription from gravestones & memorial tablets in Liverpool & Lancashire 1935 - 1939. There are 5 volumes. The one you want is volume 3, pp. 137-146. The reference is HQ929.5 GAR "Liverpool & District Epitaphs, compiled 1935-1939, by GARDNER, David Ensign.
    I suggest that you email the Liverpool Archives https://liverpool.gov.uk/libraries-an...amily-history/

marianne Faull

Thanks Southport,
    It's been a while, but thanbks to your information I am able to purchase copies of the pages I need from LRO.
    cheers
    Marienne

lynnelay

I know you have found your info, but this is a link to the grave yards on the Gardener's and Gibson's CDs.

I know you can buy them, but I can't remember where

https://www.liverpoolhistoryprojects....loflife/MI.htm

marianne Faull

Smile

Hi, thanks for that.
    I have purchased the Gibson Cd already from Liverpool & SW Lancs FHS, but I belive the Gardner information is only held in the LRO. they are copying the pages I need from this volume for a fee.
    many thanks for your interest.
    Marienne

marianne Faull

Thank you everyone for your assistance. The volume of transcriptions from LRO did not contain any of my families, so it's back to the drawing board.
    Any 'Chatters' in Liverpool with a digital camera, I (and I'm sure many others) would be more than happy to purchase from you a cd/dvd of headstone photographs of any of the unpublished cemeteries in Liverpool, especially St Oswalds, Woolton, & Childwall.

There is an Online Parish Clerk for Lancaster here

It's actually a team of people, but it might be worth asking whether the know anything or have a volunteer who'd be willing to check.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast