Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    Freecen has Torrance and Agness in 1841 census in Lawn St Paisley with children James age 20 Currer Journeyman and Agness age 14 shawl trimmer (copyright GRO Scotland)
    You will have seen this now - but I meant to add that Torrance was born Ireland and Agness out of county ie Scotland but not Renfrewshire.
    I think this means that you are unlikely to get further back with Torrance (unless he died after 1855 in which case obtain death cert.)
    Also since we don't have a birth county for Agnes she will be similarly difficult to trace.

Loves to help with queries

Thank you for the info on Torrance...I will track that one. Just an FYI. I found James O'Neill born 1843 and he re-married a Susan Rodgers (spinster) at St. Mirin's in 1886 she was b. 1864 to parents of Isaac and Susan Gourlay. Hopefully they had other children since he lost his 1st wife and 2 kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Alby65 View Post
    Thank you for the info on Torrance...I will track that one. Just an FYI. I found James O'Neill born 1843 and he re-married a Susan Rodgers (spinster) at St. Mirin's in 1886 she was b. 1864 to parents of Isaac and Susan Gourlay. Hopefully they had other children since he lost his 1st wife and 2 kids.
    Well the catholic births on SP look promising - 6 baptisms at St Mirins to a James O'Neill and a Susan between 1886 and 1896.

Will check that out. Just found the 1841 census on Ancestry and it has James, Agness and their parents Agness, but it has France listed as father not Torrance...same address, same occupation...wonder if he decided to change his name or it got transcribed wrong.

Yeah - Just found James O'Neil b. 1843 with Susan in Paisley in 1901 with children Margaret b. 1879, Susan b. 1888, Alice b. 1890, Mary b. 1893, Isaac b. 1897 and John b. 1899. Same occupation and everything. Looks like he kept having kids til he got some boys again!

Will check that out. Just found the 1841 census on Ancestry and it has James, Agness and their parents Agness, but it has France listed as father not Torrance...same address, same occupation...wonder if he decided to change his name or it got transcribed wrong.
    On Freecen he has been transcribed as Torrance.

Still tracking Torrance and Agnes. Found James 2nd wife and all her kids; though looks like her kids didn't have any or if they did I can't find them yet. With his second wife Susan Rodgers he had Agnes, Alice, James, Leo, Susan, Isaac, Charles, Mary and John. With his first wife he had James d. 1892 and Mary.

Just found a Henry O'Neil in 1800 living on Lawn Street..wonder if he is a brother to Torrance?!?!

Still tracking Torrance and Agnes. Found James 2nd wife and all her kids; though looks like her kids didn't have any or if they did I can't find them yet. With his second wife Susan Rodgers he had Agnes, Alice, James, Leo, Susan, Isaac, Charles, Mary and John. With his first wife he had James d. 1892 and Mary.
    No haven't spotted any children either -so far - no marriages for Leo and Isaac that I can see unfortunately as they have distinctive names'

However SP cartholic reg have 6 baptisms between 1880 and 1896 for children of Terence O'Neill and wife maiden name Goodfellow. So another avenue to follow....

I keep seeing the Goodfellow name also...need to track that one.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast