L Murphy

Default Where to search?

Hi, My grandfather was born illegitimately. I have purchased his birth certificate hoping to find the father's name but it wasn't stated.

He was born in 1896 Belper, Derbyshire. Name Albert Allsop, and mother Lydia.

I wondered if anyone could tell me where to look? I'm having difficulty in going to the correct places to search.

Thanks Lynn

Jan1954

Hello Lynne,

Have a check of the Parish Registers - not transcriptions, but the actual registers, either originals or on fiche. It may be that whoever recorded the baptism was really helpful and commented in the margin with such remarks as, "Purported father being Joe Bloggs". Sometimes you can strike lucky - I did with a couple of mine.

Also, were there any claims that Lydia made to the Parish for support for her and the babe? That is how I found out that the father of one of mine had legged it to America and left the child and her mother to be assisted by the Parish Overseers.

Thomasin

Lynn - have you actually found Albert or Lydia on either the 1901 or the 1911 census? I don't seem to be able to track them down, and wondered if Lydia married, thereby changing their names. I also wondered if Albert had taken his father's name, but searching the 1901 census for all the Alberts born in Derbyshire in 1896 doesn't throw up any clues.

Although - there is an Albert Allsop in the Belper area, and he is a boarder with Thomas and Elizabeth Horsley, who are old enough to be his grandparents. Also, Thomas Horsley was born in Denby, Derbyshire, which is the birthplace stated for Albert their boarder.

Probably a red herring, and Jan's advice is much sounder.

L Murphy

Hi, I too found the 1901 census for an Albert Allsop with the Horsley family but have no access to 1911 census records yet.
    I found Lydia on the 1901 census living with her grandmother Sarah Allsop.

Lydia did in fact marry Henry Hart and Albert later changed his name to Albert Hart that is why I had difficulty in finding records.
    I would like to think I could trace his father.

You have given me an idea... was his father's surname Horsley? I will look into that.

Lynn

Thomasin

Quote Originally Posted by L Murphy View Post
    ... was his father's surname Horsley?
    That's what I wondered, but Thomas and Elizabeth Horsley don't seem to have had any children for Albert to be their grandchild. I suppose Thomas Horsley ...... but no, he would have been 76!

L Murphy

Well... back to the drawing board I guess

Lynn

Thomasin

Quote Originally Posted by Thomasin View Post
    Thomas Horsley was born in Denby, Derbyshire, which is the birthplace stated for Albert their boarder.
    I notice that on Albert Hart's military records (mentioned by Lizzy9 on your other thread) that he was born in Denby, near Belper, so the Albert with the Horsleys is probably him.