Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: John Harris

Knowledgeable and helpful

Default John Harris

I am looking for the family of John Harris. I know very little about them. John Harris was born around 1830 in Blockhouse, Worcester. He is my G-G Grandfather. John marries my G-G Grandmother Francess Elizabeth Purcell on 6th Feb 1851 at St Peter the Great, Worcester. From this point I have found him on all the census until his death in 1883.
    I am trying to work out anything about him before 1851 and that of his father William Harris who I know nothing about. William was recorded as an Iron Moulder on John's marriage certificate. John was also an iron moulder or stone moulder.
    Such little information, can anyone suggest anything?
    With thanks ELMA

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Are the marriage witnesses any help, Elma?

A long shot, but there's a William H. HARRIS, Iron Moulder, aged 23, living in Blockhouse in 1851. A possible brother?
    HO107/2042 folio 602 page 33 (record held by TNA, Crown Copyright)

Blockhouse seems to be extra-parochial. In the hope that a local expert can locate some likely parish registers, I will slip this thread across to the Worcestershire forum.

birdlip

Hi Elma,

Kerrywood's long shot is looking good, because there's this possibility on IGI:

John HARRIS bap 06 Jun 1831 St Peter, Worcester, parents William HARRIS and Harriet

and this:

William Henry HARRIS bap 24 May 1827, same church and parents.

Both are extracted entries.

Thank you Kerrywood and Birdlip
    Harriet seems to be a family name, John and Frances named their second child Harriet but then Frances's parents were William and Harriet (Purcell). The witnesses at the wedding of John and Frances are William Jofi (hard to decipher) and Mary Ann Harris.

I will scrutinise the census to see what I can make of it. Thank you again ELMA

birdlip

siblings, same church and parents:

Mary Ann 21 May 1826

Benjamin 06 Jun 1831

Sarah Amelia also 06 Jun 1831 ( a job lot, these two on the same day as John)

I'm off to bed, but it might be interesting if someone can find this family in 1841, and see if William is indeed an iron moulder.

birdlip

Just saw your post Elma.

So if this IS the correct family, the witness Mary Ann could have been John's older unmarried sister.

I really AM off to bed now...

Hope you slept well birdlip.
    I am still struggling with my Harris family. I have looked for Mary Ann Harris (witness 1851) with no success. I cant find the family in 1841 at all. All we have is Kerrywood's 1851 census for William and one for John. The baptisms look good. The search goes on!
    ELMA

I have been trying to find any of the children whose baptisms have been mentioned. I have found a census for 1841
    HO107/1209/4/8/7 Charles Street, Blockhouse Worcester. It is for William and Harriet Harris. It is very difficult to read and I can not see the occupation and wonder if the transcription is accurate. If anyone can have a look and try to confirm the occupations and children I would be grateful. There are children William, Mary and Sarah but not John who I would expect to find.
    Thank you ELMA

birdlip

Yes, I slept well thank you!

I'm sorry I can't help you look, I don't have a sub at present, but encouraging that you may have found the family! I wonder where John was?

birdlip

I don't know if this will help at all, but this looks like William and Harriet's marriage, it's an extracted entry from IGI:

William HARRIS/ Harriet GRUBHAM 02 Oct 1825 St Martin, Worcester.

Are there any GRUBHAM's in Worcester in 1841?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast