Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Knowledgeable and helpful

PMd you with some details.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default researching john stanton 101 bridgewater

Quote Originally Posted by Zen Rabbit View Post
    While looking for my Stanton ancestors I came across a whole batch of records relating to the Stantons of the West Midlands. If anyone has family ties in this area I have family trees drawn up in 1815 - 1850 and dating back to 1574. If you think this might be your family drop me a line.
    I am researching for my husband's great grandfather , John Stanton. We have a baptism copy showing the baptism of his grandfather , Arthur born nov 16 1871. It lists his father as john stanton 101 bridgewater st, oldham, county of lancaster. Mother's name Sarah. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Have emailed you :-)

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I am researching the Stanton family in Staffordshire. My ancestor was Samuel (born about 1710-16) and his son, William Henry Stanton (born 1756) who moved to Canada. I would appreciate any Information about this family tree.

There are four old Stanton families connected with Staffordshire that I know of..
    1. The Stantons of the Black country (West Bromwich, Walsall, Tipton, Warwick, etc) who became involved in the legal wrangles surrounding the estates of Isaac Stanton of Kenilworth, there are no Samuels in their early history that I am aware of.
    2. My line the Stantons of Stafford who were mostly shoemakers who arrived by way of Worfield & Baswich. Samuel does occur as a name within this family but not until the early to mid 1800's.
    3. the Stantons of the village of Stanton in the Peak District of which I know very little
    and
    4. The Theatrical Stantons who's line begins with Samuel Stanton, manager of several theatres and friend of Samuel Johnson. His birth is said to be 1737 place unknown in the records I have but he was buried in Nantwich in 1797.
    He and his wife Elizabeth (died 1789) had several children:
    James Stanton
    Samuel Stanton (1757-1784) a leading actor in the Staffordshire company
    John Stanton (1758-1824) formed his own company
    Elizabeth Stanton (1760-1820) married Captain J Nunns, performed in the Haymarket and died in Calais
    Charlotte Stanton (1763-1830) quite famous in her day, her portrait is in the British Museum
    William Stanton quit the stage and became deputy Commissary Consul in Ecuador
    George Stanton (1765-1809)
    Charles Stanton (1768-1838) became manager of the theatre company and built deveral theatres
    Robert Stanton (1773-1795) Leading actor of the Staffordshire Comedians, became manager in 1794
    I don't know if any of this is of help to you?

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you so much! It will take me quite a while to go through all these us evil informations. :-) Maybe I will be able to find a connection to my family tree. As I am informed, my ancestor Samuel was buried in Nantwich in 1797. His wife was Elizabeth Waring. This could be a match. I will try to check it.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by C. Stanton View Post
    Thank you so much! It will take me quite a while to go through all these us evil informations. :-) Maybe I will be able to find a connection to my family tree. As I am informed, my ancestor Samuel was buried in Nantwich in 1797. His wife was Elizabeth Waring. This could be a match. I will try to check it.

This is the family crest which my father Francis Roy Stanton III ( died 1967 in USA gave to my mother. The original seems to be old, this one is just a copy I painted Maybe you know anything about it.

I gained the following information from a user called "Zero the hero" on Rootschat
    "Boswell describes Samuel Stanton thus in 1776, when he and Dr Johnson took a glass of wine with him at Litchfield (where Samuel's company of players were performing) "A plain decent well-behaved man".

His memorial in St Mary's, Nantwich, where he was buried in 1797, speaks well of him telllng us that he"For many Years presided over a Company of Comedians in this Neighbourhood, with Credit and Respect and was deservedly esteemed in private Life as an honest Man" Elizabeth, his first wife, was similarly eulogised.

The user I spoke to said that he was compiling a book on Stanton but I haven't heard anymore since.

Quote Originally Posted by Zen Rabbit View Post
    4. The Theatrical Stantons who's line begins with Samuel Stanton, manager of several theatres and friend of Samuel Johnson. His birth is said to be 1737 place unknown in the records I have but he was buried in Nantwich in 1797.
    He and his wife Elizabeth (died 1789) had several children:
    James Stanton
    Samuel Stanton (1757-1784) a leading actor in the Staffordshire company
    John Stanton (1758-1824) formed his own company
    Elizabeth Stanton (1760-1820) married Captain J Nunns, performed in the Haymarket and died in Calais
    Charlotte Stanton (1763-1830) quite famous in her day, her portrait is in the British Museum
    William Stanton quit the stage and became deputy Commissary Consul in Ecuador
    George Stanton (1765-1809)
    Charles Stanton (1768-1838) became manager of the theatre company and built deveral theatres
    Robert Stanton (1773-1795) Leading actor of the Staffordshire Comedians, became manager in 1794
    I don't know if any of this is of help to you?
    HI C Stanton

This Stanton family is in my Family tree through marriage of my great Aunt to Frederick Stanton son of Charles, son of Samuel( 1737-1797)
    It is a very interesting and amazing story which I would be delighted to share with you if you are interested.
    Fredrick and his brother ultimately became the owners of the Greenwich Silk Mills in the mid 1800's.

it would appear that Frederick would therefore be related to you.

I believe it is accurate that Samuel married Ann Moore in 1796 in Nantwich, Cheshire a year before he died.

Marj.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I would also be glad to share all informations I have. You can find the whole family on www.genealogy.com. I am moving he family tree to my heritage.com at the moment.
    I was never able to trace the family tree back before Samuel Stanton who was born in Cannock died in Nantwich. As I am informed his son William Henry moved to Canada and there he died 1833. His son was Charles and his son James Stanton. His son Francis Roy Stanton who was my greatgrandfather and he moved to the United States. I was born there. Kind regards,
    Christine

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast