Richard Miller

Default Pyne Major birth/marriage in the West Indies

Hi Folks

I am trying to find a date of birth or baptism for Eleanor Laura Louisa Pyne, daughter of William Rowland Pyne born in Montserrat in 1868. William Rowland Pyne was a British Civil Servant and moved to Montserrat from a posting in the Falkalnd Islands where he had married Louisa Jane Hamblin (not sure of the date). William Rowland Pyne died in 1885 in Port of Spain Trinidad.

Eleanor Laura Louisa Pyne married Francis William Major (also a British Civil Servant) in 1895. I am not sure where but probably in the Gold Coast (Ghana) where Francis William Major was posted to from Trinidad in 1891.

Eleanor's older brother Lionel George Falkland Pyne was also a Civil Servant in Trinidad until 1888 I believe and became Chief Assistant Secretary, Gold Coast (not sure when).

I am also trying to find out when Francis William Major was born or baptised although I know it was in 1863 in the Leeward Islands (but which Island?).

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Best wishes

Richard

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Miller View Post
    Eleanor Laura Louisa Pyne married Francis William Major (also a British Civil Servant) in 1895. I am not sure where but probably in the Gold Coast (Ghana) where Francis William Major was posted to from Trinidad in 1891.
    Actually, it seems they married in Devon on April 30 1895. Here is a newspaper announcement...

MARRIAGES
    MAJOR--PYNE -- On the 30 ult., at St. Saviour's Church Torquay, by the Rev. Prebendary Wolfe and the Rev. H. W. Majendie, vicar. Francis William Major, her Majesty's Colonial Civil Service, to Eleanor Laura Louisa, daughter of the late W. R. Pyne, Receiver General of Trinidad.
    The Morning Post (London, England), Tuesday, May 07, 1895

Marriages Jun 1895 Newton A. 5b 262
    MAJOR Francis William
    Owens Sarah
    Pyne Eleanor Laura L
    Sanders Mabel Ellen
    Sweet John

Edit: not sure why she would marry in Devon, since she is living with her mum in Watford in 1891. RG12 1120 / f4 / p2 (crown copyright, care of the TNA)
    Last edited by olliecat; 22-05-2011 at 12:58 PM. Reason: pipped by notanotherminer