Thread: William Riches

anjean

Default William Riches

My Great Grand Father William Riches was in the kent Police starting at Chatham Kent where my grand dad was born, his name William Riches, then he went to Northfleet Kent where my Grand dad grew up.
    He was commomdated for stopping a run away horse in Strood High Street. Dates to follow. His Wife my great grand mother who I knew was a Prison Matron, Her name was Emily Maud Riches/Mills. I have not found any records of this but I know she was as she told us, I can not remember where weather it was at Chatham or Northfleet or both. I know it was about 1914 .
    Angie.

Richard1955

Hi Anjean and welcome
    I'm not too sure what the question is here.
    I have checked the 1901 and 1911 census for Emily and it appears that she had no occupation at that time.
    In case you don't have this info:
    Birth Emily Maud Mills Sep qtr 1883. N. Aylesford 2a 511 (from bmd.org.uk)
    Birthplace: Halling. Kent on census.
    Marriage to William Riches. Mar qtr. 1912 Strood 2a 900
    1901 census ref: RG13 719 23 38 (familysearch.org)
    1911 census ref: RG14PN3861 RG78PN147 RD45 SD2 ED6 SN138

Copyright TNA
    Last edited by Richard1955; 20-05-2011 at 6:02 PM. Reason: copyright TNA

anjean

Thank you for the information on Emily Maud. I am sure her occupation will show up on the next census. 1921. She would have been Matron after she got married to William. From what I can understand that Policeman's wifes were not allow to work anywhere else and this is why she had a job as a prison matron. I am almost certain it was at the policestation that William was based.
    Thanks again.