knbkms

Default Emma Marx and Marcus Cohen

Is there anyone that can help point me into the direction needed to possibly go back another generation on the above ancestors of mine?

They were both Jewish and on the census's that I have found of them when they met, married and settled in Deptford, Greenwich it states they came from "Prussia" ~ or Berlin, Germany in Emmas case ~ on one it states that she is a naturalised british subject

I think they met over here, and had their family but I have never been able to locate a marriage certificate. Emma was born in 1830(ish) and Marcus or Marks was born in 1831. How do you even start to know where to look on such scant information or am I being silly to even think I will trace their beginnings.

Any help or even a clear "you wont be able to find anything" will help, and will be gratly appreciated

Thanks

Kim

Mutley

Just to help those that may search for you, is this the family in 1871?
    living at Lower Park Street, Greenwich
    Mark Cowen 40, Glazier, born Poland
    Emma Cowen 36, born Germany
    Esther Cowen 17
    Abraham Cowen 14
    Julius Cowen 12
    Harris Cowen 10
    Jacob Cowen 8
    Newman Cowen 6
    Phillip Cowen 4
    Children all born Greenwich.
    1871 RG10/757, Folio 4, Page 1
    (records held by TNA, Crown copyright)

knbkms

Yes Mutley, although I must tell you that altough on this census it states that all the children are born in Greenwich, on the previous one 1861, the two eldest children are actually down as being born in London city, another of my bugbears because I cant locate these births either, London City could cover such a vast area, I did check and there are no Greenwich births for Esther or Abraham. I hope this helps a little. All the rest were born in Greenwich and I can track most of them for most of their lives, its just the beginnings that are proving elusive

Kim

Mutley

OK, so is this the 1861 census, I presume the answer is 'yes'
    1861 in Frederick Street
    Marcus Cohen 40, Glazier, born Russia?
    Emma Cohen 30, born Prussia?
    Ester Cohen 5, born London City
    Abraham Cohen 4, born London City
    Julius Cohen 2,born London City
    Harries Cohen 11 Months, born Greenwich
    RG9/398, Folio 6, Page 6
    (records held by TNA, Crown copyright)

I know I am not telling you anything you do not know but it does help other members that may have access to further records (but not necessarily census) to go look with this information.

Mutley

Could this be when Marcus arrived?
    Marcus Cahn, arrived at London, England on 15 Apr 1850 from Prussia

Ctrl and + on your keyboard will enlarge the image.

Jan1954

Hello Kim,

You may find this to be of assistance.

Coromandel

From the 1871 census given by Mutley in post #2, Newman was born about 1865 and his younger brother Philip in about 1867. Their ages fit with those given on some other sites for a pair of entertainers (doing tap dance amongst other things) going by the name 'Maurice Brothers' or 'Brothers Maurice'. Google for more info, including some with genealogy queries, such as these two sites:

https://
    boards.ancestry.com/topics.occupations.theater/278/mb.ashx?pnt=1

https://www.
    ilxor.com/ILX/ThreadSelectedControllerServlet?boardid=41&threadi d=26885

Though it says there that Maurice was a stage name, I wonder if it might be worth looking for earlier connections with the name Maurice (or perhaps Morris).

bbs95dc

Default more data

Hi Kim.

Did u manage to trace back further. I have some genetic testing data as I am from this lineage.

knbkms

Hi, No I have been unable to get any further back regarding these two, I seem to know a lot about them once they were settled over here, and had their family, but I cannot find a marriage for them or any early info. I am totally intrigued as to what you know, and even genetic testing data sounds amazing, what exactly can you, or did you discover???

thanks

Kim