David R McKay

Default 78TH REGIMENT OF FOOT

I am a newbie so this is my first attempt at using this site. My profile has a little more about me. I am from the US, and I have discovered that I had an ancestor, ARCHIBALD MCKAY born Freaserburgh, Aberdeenshire, who, according to his obit, served for 7 years in the 78th Regiment of Foot; however, I do not know the dates of service or where he served. His obit says he was discharged honorably, which may be questionable. If he was born 1808 and was at least 20 years old when he went for duty, he would have served sometime between 1828 and 1835. I know that in 1851 he was living in Fraserburgh, with his family. Is there any record of office for this Regiment? I know that it was a famous one so there must be records for those who served. Any help would be appreciated.

David R. McKay

Procat

Hi David,

I have moved your post from the Introduce Yourself section to Military General.

The U.K. National Archives holds many military records for your time frame and hopefully you will be able to find something for your man. I have had a quick look but unfortunately without success.

Richard1955

Hi David
    You might want to try:

https://www.
    armymuseums.org.uk/museums/0000000028-Duke-of-Wellington-s-Regiment-West-Riding-Museum.htm

and also google the regiment for more of it's history.
    Last edited by Kerrywood; 19-05-2011 at 10:12 AM. Reason: removed direct link - they have a shop

Knowledgeable and helpful keith9351's Avatar

Hi David
    The 78th were in Ireland from 1817 -1826 April, then on to what was Ceylon now Sri Lanka arriving back in England in February 1838.
    The few service records I have managed to obtain show my relatives signing up for 12 years, being split - 6 years with the Colours (in the Regiment) and 6 years in the reserves. or 7 years with the Colours and 5 years in the reserves.
    Keith

David R McKay

Thank you all. I have some additional questions about this man which I will investigate. Later after I check out his story of being in the 78th Regiment of foot I will explore another story about him.

Thanks

Dave