Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    sophiec

Default Chelsea Pensioner Clerk PO R.E CS

This is the occupation of my great great grandfather and I am just wondering exactly what this is and whether there are any records of these posts anywhere? Hoping someone can help!

Sophie

Knowledgeable and helpful keith9351's Avatar

It could just be coincidental but the Royal Engineers ran a postal service & courier service in WW1 up until 1993. How old was your gt. gt. grandfather?

https://www.remuseum.org.uk/rem_his_special.htm#pcs

Keith

Mutley

The National Archives have Chelsea Pensioner Records here are what documents they hold.

sophiec

Hi thanks for these responses, I just assumed that he worked in the offices where the pensions were given out so its quite interesting to know he could actually have been a Chelsea pensioner. He was recorded as working there in the 1881 census when he was 57.
    Sophie

Reputation beyond repute

C.S. is the usual abbreviation for Civil Servant.

(If PO does mean Post Office, note that Post Office employees were Civil Servants in those days).

Try searching the Gazette - Post Office employees are listed on appointment, promotion etc.

Reputation beyond repute

I've had a look at the census return and the CS was written in afterwards in a different hand. This confirms, in my opinion, that CS stands for Civil Servant.

How about Pay Office for PO? Sounds right for Aldershot

sophiec

Hi Peter,

Thanks so much for looking for me, so I just need to look at the British Army records for his name and perhaps I will find some more information about when he was born and the such like? as he was born in 1824, birth records seem to be more difficult to find!

I had a look in the gazette and there were 39 references to Maltman although none specifically him it was interesting never the less.

Sophie

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi Sophie

My ancestor was an "out" pensioner and he still had a day job as a Servant and Footman. Obviously the pension was just an extra income.

Ben

Mutley

Is he Thomas born about 1824/25 in Grantham, Lincolnshire?

If so, I am sure there are members who would be able to help you search for him.

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi Sophie

When did Thomas marry, and did he have any children? If he had children while in the Army the birth certs should give his regiment.

Ben

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast