Colin Rowledge

Default Have the death certificate, but -

He was living at #9, Jupiter Road, Reigate. Reigate and Banstead councils appear to have amalgamated at sometime after 1958 [the year of of his death].

The place he was indicated at death was "Netherne, Coulsdon" which was in the sub-district of Coulsdon and Banstead.

Can anyone indicate where the place of residence and the place of death are in relation to each other? Googling Coulsdon brings up a village in Wiltshire and Banstead links me to Reigate and Banstead.

Thanks

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

streetmap.co.uk
    Search for Coulsdon as a place.
    Select Coulsdon Croydon.
    Minus the zoom control a notch.
    Banstead's on the left.
    Pam

Jan1954

Colin,

Coulsdon (which is now appearing in Greater London, but was always in Surrey when I was a lass....) and Reigate are less than 10 miles apart.

Find Merstham on a map (north east of Reigate) and follow the railway line in a northerly direction.

Colin Rowledge

Thank you, Pam and Jan.

Even with the explanations above, I wouldn't have found the place - Merstham - as the the writing is so clear on the the certificate and to me is definitely what I said in post #1.

Richard1955

Google maps and search 9 Juniper Road. Reigate for the first one
    and the post code: CP5 1SB for the second

jac65

Colin

I think you might have misunderstood Jan1954, what they were saying was that if you find Merstham on a map, then follow the railway line north you will find Coulsdon.

The place of death, Netherne, is mostly likely Netherne Mental Hospital. It is now closed and I believe a village, Netherne-on-the-Hill was built on the site. The village is just east of the railway line about halfway between Merstham and Couldson

Andy