RUSS ALLISON

Default EUPHEMIA DUNCAN NEE MCCLURE

Trying to find the death of my ggrandmother Euphemia (Effy) who was born 24 June 1840 in Drumfearn, Sleat, Isle of Skye. She married John Duncan 15 Dec 1866 in Freuchie Manse, Falkland. She is on the 1901 census living in Kirkcaldy but I cannot find her in the 1911 census, so I presume that she died between these census dates. I seem to remember something about her dying in Markinch Poorhouse, but cannot confirm this. I've searched Scotlandspeople to no avail, so any help in tracing her death would be much appreciated. Thanks

Wilkes_ml

Have you tried searching under her maiden name, as usually women's deaths are registered under their maiden names and their married names in Scotland, but she may only be listed under her maiden name if she died after her husband.

You may also notice that Scottish women often appear on census' under their maiden names, even when married!

Famous for offering help & advice

Nearest I can see so far is a death of a Mary Duncan , other surname McClure, b 1843, d 1904 Kircaldy

Wilkes_ml

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    Nearest I can see so far is a death of a Mary Duncan , other surname McClure, b 1843, d 1904 Kircaldy
    That looks pretty much spot on ...deaths can often be out on age by up to 10 years, as the informant doesn't always know how old the deceased was and often guesses.

edited to say, I just noticed the name difference...quite possibly she was known by a different name to the person who registered her death.

RUSS ALLISON

Thumbs up EUPHEMIA DUNCAN NEE MCCLURE

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    Many thanks Grisel. Brickwall broken!
    Checked this out on Scotlandspeople, based on your suggestion, and this is definitely the lady in question.
    I have downloaded a copy from the death register and find that my grandfather, her son-in-law, registered her death. Not only did he register her as Mary, but also gave the wrong Christian name for his father-in-law on the entry.
    Thanks again

RUSS ALLISON

Quote Originally Posted by Wilkes_ml View Post
    That looks pretty much spot on ...deaths can often be out on age by up to 10 years, as the informant doesn't always know how old the deceased was and often guesses.

edited to say, I just noticed the name difference...quite possibly she was known by a different name to the person who registered her death.
    Thanks, Michelle. As you will see from my reply to grisel, my problem has been solved.

Famous for offering help & advice

Glad you found her!