Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Barry B

Default Coroners Reports

Is it possible to purchase Coroners Reports, I'm looking for date 1904 in Stourbridge/Kingswinford area, Coroner for South West Staffordshire.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Barry
    Last edited by Barry B; 16-05-2011 at 9:55 AM. Reason: too many "for"

spring1

I have very limited experience but when I was looking for one in Herts discovered that they were not always retained. I got my information from a local paper so perhaps that could be your first port of call?

Reputation beyond repute

The trouble is they're not designated "public records". Here's a useful quote "From 1921 the Public Record Office required all surviving records dating from before 1875 to be retained permanently, but advised that more recent records need only be kept for 15 years". It's just chance and local practice what might have survived.

You would need to ask Staffordshire Record Office what they might have.

Most people get more joy out of newspaper reports.

MarkJ

I also suggest newspaper reports. Reports from back before WW2 are often quite detailed and contain all sorts of useful information which is useful to the genealogist. My great grans sister was murdered and the newspaper report is extremely graphic in its description (it would not be permitted to be so detailed today!) and mentions lots of witnesses etc by name and place.

Barry B

Thanks to all above, will contact Staffordshire Record Office, and will also try and find which newspapers were available in Pensnett/Kingswinford/Stourbridge areas at that time (Nov 1904) were the incident took place.

LittleSpark

Hi Barry
    I'm going to Dudley Archives tomorrow - if you can give me details of what you're looking for I can check in The Dudley Herald to see if its in there. I know the Archives has it on microfilm but not sure what year it starts.
    I know it was the local paper at the time so hopefully it might cover the area you're interested in.

Sheila

Barry B

Hi Sheila

It's the death of Benjamin Broom 25th Nov 1904, Tansey Green, Pensnett. On the death certificate it states "Certificate received from (Coroners name) Coroner for South West Staffordshire" inquest held 29th Nov 1904. Cause of death, died from injuries accidentally inflicted. Accidental death.

Thanks in advance, if you require the Coroners name let me know.

Barry

LittleSpark

Hi Barry,
    Hopefully as it's Pensnett it might be in there as it's only a stone's throw from Dudley.
    Will let you know if I find anything.

Sheila

LittleSpark

Hi Barry,
    The Dudley Herald was published weekly so checked from Saturday 26th November 1904 to Saturday 24th December 1904.
    Even though it does cover Pensnett/Kingswinford I couldn't find anything at all.
    I asked a member of Staff who said it's probably held by South West Staffs area, possibly in The County Express.
    So sorry I couldn't find anything...... I wish you luck in your search.

Sheila

Barry B

Hi Shelia,

Thank you very much for trying to find it for me.

I'm thinking of travelling down to the Dudley Archives in a couple of weeks time when our school shutdown for the holidays. I need to look at the Parish Registers for the Dudley area to look for the birth and marriage of Benjamin.

Thanking you once again

Barry

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast