LizH

Post STANFORD family of Needham Market, Creeting

I recently acquired the will of my gg-grandfather William STANFORD, a draper of London. The will was proved 25 Jun 1839 but I don't know how much earlier he died.

In the will he mentioned his indentures and/to freehold, copyhold and leasehold 'heredits???' at Creeting St Mary, Creeting St Peter, Creeting St Olaves, Coddenham and 'Wooling Hall' (??) and Mistlefield - all in the county of Suffolk.

The will also mentions his father, William Stanford 'the older' who was obviously still living when the will was written in 1832. (His father owed him more than £1000)

(A son of the younger William, Edward Stanford, founded Stanfords Map shop in London in 1852. Another son, John (my g-grandfather), came to Australia in 1849.)

Also mentioned in the will:
    1. A brother-in-law, Robert TILLOTT (who married William's sister Sarah Ann Stanford in 1828 in Suffolk (Bishops Transcript, no parish shown)

2. Brother-in-law William Arpthorpe (his widow's brother)

3. John Stanford

4. Alexander Wingfield Stanford

It's difficult to know how to proceed when I'm so far away so any suggestions for tying these bits of information together and finding out more about the Stanford family would be most appreciated.

Specifically: have I transcribed the place names correctly? The names (except the Tillott-Stanford marriage) don't appear on the Family Search website (I think they may have been non-conformists) so where might I find their vital records and how do I go about getting copies.

Sorry this is so 'long-winded' I'm new here.

Brian

Wink

Hello Liz
    If you want to check Suffolk Parishes try going to

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/SFK/

and clicking on the parishes link. That way you will see whether you are correct or what is the nearest approximation.

It's also worth looking at the Suffolk FHS site (put it into Google) to see if anyone is researching your names.

Good luck

Brian

AnnB

Hello Liz
    I expect you know that Stanford's have a web site? When we lived just outside London, Stanford's was one of those shops that we couldn't pass without going in Have you looked at FreeBMD for the death of William? I had a quick look, but there seem to be several who could fit the bill......have you any idea whereabouts in London he was a draper? Or could he possibly have died in Suffolk?
    Good hunting
    Ann

Wirral

Talking

Hi Liz
    I too have ancestors from Needham Market, most of their records are not on the IGI either.
    I've found Sarah Ann Stanford & husband Robert Tillott & family in the 1841, 1861, 1871 & 1881 censuses (she had died by 1881). He was born abt 1807in Wissett, Suffolk, she was born abt 1806 in Westleton, Suffolk. He was a farmer of 265 acres employing 9 men & 7 boys at Yaxley, suffolk, in 1861. By 1881 one of his sons, John is running the farm & it is 600acres. Oh, & one of John's sons is called Stanford Tillott!
    If you want me to send you the links to the censuses, send me a private message - it is easier than me typing it all out!
    Bye
    Alison

Have now found possible mother of Sarah Ann, another Sarah age 70 in 1841, also a farmer (no spouse) in Badingham. Also next door but one Roger Tillott age 80 (ag lab) & Fanny Tillott age 70, possibly Robert's parents. Also on next page but one, Wingfield Alexander Stanford age 20 & his parents Wingfield Stanford 50, Sarah ann, 50 & brother John Robt. 25. Badingham is about 30 miles from Westleton

The Stanfords all seem to be farmers & landowners, most of a sizeable acreage. Hope you kept the family fortunes! My lot were likely to be the "ag labs"!
    Last edited by Wirral; 24-06-2005 at 11:06 PM. Reason: yet more info

LizH

Default Thank you

Thank you for all that help. I'll get busy on on the internet and see what I can find. I'm in Australia so I have no local knowledge at all.

The Suffolk Stanford family seemed to be fairly well off. However, my great grandfather who came to Australia in 1849 was apparently a "remittance man". Oral history has it that he was given his money and told not to return to England. He apparently too often drank too much and was apparently quite cruel to the animals he used on the farm. Perhaps this was the result of losing his father as a young boy. I don't know.

He had a farm where he built his home which he called "Creeting" but he was penniless when he died at the age of 56.

Interestingly, all of his 12 surviving children did very well. Nearly all became school teachers and they produced children who excelled internationally as academics and scholars. My grandmother was the last (14th) child, born on her parents' 25th wedding anniversary. There was certainly nothing of the family fortune left for her!

Thanks again

Liz

Mazmoo

Hi Liz

I know its a long time since you posted on here but was just wondering if you or anyone else has any information on the Stanford Family. I have just started researching them for a friend of mine and any help or information would be very much appreciated.

I would be very interested to know how & where to obtain the Will of William Stanford the draper from London.
    Many Thanks
    Mary

Welcome to Brit-Gen Mary

You can download the will of William Stanford from the National Archives site at a cost of 3 pounds 36 p. Here

If you need specific help with this family it may be better to start a post of your own giving all the info you have and what it is you need help with.

Good luck

Christanel
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs