Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Name well known on Brit-Gen

I think it was Caradoc EVANS who was divorced from his first wife?

There's an obituary in The Times for Marguerite in 1964 (as "Mrs Caradoc Evans"), claiming she married Caradoc in 1933.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrywood View Post
    I think it was Caradoc EVANS who was divorced from his first wife?
    Makes more sense, since she didn't need to divorce. Perhaps the translation of the wiki page is not very good. Anyway, we have the marriage now.

Quote Originally Posted by olliecat View Post
    Perhaps the translation of the wiki page is not very good.
    As the original is in Portuguese, perhaps we can enlist Mutley's help later?

Quote Originally Posted by olliecat View Post
    Anyway, we have the marriage now.
    Yes, well done, we posted simultaneously.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrywood View Post
    As the original is in Portuguese, perhaps we can enlist Mutley's help later?
    Ah! I didn't know Mutley was a Portuguese hound. Yes! come on Mutley - login - we have a job for you. An accurate English translation of the whole wiki page by the end of the day, if you please.

This looks like the Caradoc EVANS divorce.

There's an article on Marguerite (with a photograph) in the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography.

Evans [née Jervis], Marguerite Florence Laura [pseuds. Countess Barcynska, Oliver Sandys] (1886/7–1964), novelist, was born at Henzada, Burma ... married Armiger Barczinsky (1861?–1930), a Polish-born journalist (Armiger Barclay) some twenty-five years her senior and, like her father, an aloof disciplinarian; he promised that under his tutelage she would fulfil her literary ambitions (an invention amusingly caught in her volume of autobiography) ... soon afterwards, the couple agreed to part ....
    [extracts, copyright Oxford University Press]

I suspect the 1911 marriage certificate with father's name will be required in order to get absolute proof that it is one and the same man. But given the data in the 1911 census, it does look very likely.

Coromandel

This National Library of Wales catalogue describes papers of Professor Gwyn Jones deposited there in 1992. Among the entries which may be of interest are:

• 68/58: Certified copy of the marriage certificate for Armiger Barczinsky and Marguerite Jervis (1911).
    • 68/59: Certified copy of marriage certificate for Caradoc Evans and Marguerite Barczinsky (1933).
    • 68/70-1: Photographs, 1914, of Monica Dunbar with Cupid (Marguerite Evans's dog) and of Armiger Barczinsky and Marguerite.

There's also much in the same catalogue about Caradoc Evans.

Here is Marguerite Jervis in the 1901 census..

1901: RG13 Piece: 1314 Folio: 76 Page: 12 (crown copyright, care of the TNA)

Much more difficult to try and find Caroline Elizabeth Wright (or Ethel Wright if they are the same person) before her marriage, since we don't have very many details about her. There is this page that has Ethel's full name as Rose Ethel Wright, but whether this is her pseudonym - ?

www.
    importantminiatures.com/143125/Cat--No--40-1

I think you may need to look at Armiger Barczinsky’s marriage certificates in order to clarify matters.

Default BERNARD BARCZINZKY

You have all been a great help in confirming that Bernard Armiger Barczinsky and Armiger Barclay are one in the same as I suspected. The Probate record shows Bernard Armiger or Armiger Barclay of 2 Burgoyne Road South Norwood Surrey died 5 July 1930 at Palais du Soleil Avenue Thiers Menton France. Probate to Agnes Muriel Greenwood spinster £643. 17s 10d.
    The Barczinsky and Crawcour lines are originally Ashkenazi Jews from Poland.
    It looks as if Bernard's brother Isidore also changed his name first according to the 1910 USA Census and I can't locate him or his wife Lottie post 1910.
    Margurite Jervis was also known as Countess Helene Barcynska claiming her husband was a Polish Count. To my knowledge I have no such links to Jewish nobility!
    My thanks again for all your help.
    Phillip

Quote Originally Posted by phillip View Post
    Bernard's brother Isidore also changed his name first according to the 1910 USA Census and I can't locate him or his wife Lottie post 1910.
    In 1920 they could be in Manhattan Assembly District 7, New York, lodgers at West 72nd Street.

John/Isidore's age has been indexed as 51, but could be 57. He is now a Salesman in bonds, and was born in England, immigrated 1883. Lottie is born Pennsylvania but aged 45, so if it's the same couple she's lost a few years over the decade.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast