Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default Cosford family of Staverton.

I am trying to trace back my Cosford family ancesters from Weedon Bec, Northamptonshire and found an American family website which states that William Cosford who had a number of children in Wedon Bec and Broomhall, Northants actually married in Wolfhamcote, Warwickshire and was born in Staverton, Wiltshire. I realise that many of these type of websites can be unreliable and have e-mailed them without reply to ask their sources. However i wondered if anyone out there was researching the family in Staverton and may be able to give me any help...one way or the other.

Growing old Disgracefully

Hi Mark
    Could you give us a bit more info such as what years we are talking about someone may be able to help.

Sandy

sorry everyone...William married Anne (surname unknown at present) and had a number of children in Weedon Bec and Broomhall Northamptonshire. His birth is estimated at about 1690 (always a sign of uncertainty) in Staverton the son of William Cosford and Elinor Simpson who married at Wolfhampcote, Warwickshire in May 1686. She was apparantly born in Shuckborough, Warwks and he was born in Staverton, Wiltshire and died in Dodford, Northants in 1715. Part of me says it is all too convenient that Wiltshire and Warwickshire are not exactly local, are part of me says it could be right and get me basck a couple more generations and not to discount anything until it is confirmed correct or inaccurate.

Coromandel

Hi Mark

The tree I found by googling doesn't say Staverton, Wiltshire, but just 'Staverton, England'. Google Maps finds several Stavertons, including one near Daventry. Just up the road from Staverton are Upper and Lower Shuckburgh. All these places are within a couple of miles of Wolfhampcote.

English Jurisdictions 1851 shows Wolfhampcote and the Shuckburghs in Warwickshire, and the neighbouring parish of Staverton in Northamptonshire.

thats true but the map on that site shows the one in Wiltshire...