Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Heather

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Mackay View Post
    A public tree on Ancestry says that Keith JOPP married Eleanor CAMPBELL in Liguanea, Jamaica in 1800 (no source given). A quick look on Google Maps shows that there is a Liguanea in St.Andrew's Parish, Kingston, Jamaica, which would fit with the St.Andrew's Parish location given on the slave registers
    Hi Sue......I wish I had time to look further, but I have an appt with the dental surgeon in 2 hours. Liguanea is most definitely in St. Andrews Parish and the FHC naturally have a parish film for it. In fact, I have a permanent copy of it. Liguanea is a rather upscale area of Kingston (the ex-Prime Minister Seaga lives there) and my husband's family live there also.

I must get over to a library or something to have a look at the slave registers in Ancestry. Ron's Figueroa ancestors lived in the St. Andrews area and I do have a few Slave Journal pages showing they owned a "pen" and slaves in St. Andrews. Now that there is a more unusual name (Jopp) one could look at the Jamaican FamilySearch owned by Patricia Jackson and use the search engine. It isn't a very good one, but there would have been a few hundred Campbells and Taylors......so I didn't try.

Btw, Ron (husband) said that the Taylors of his generation were quite well-to-do and had businesses in Kingston Jamaica, assuming that they were direct descendants. To put it delicately (not one of my finer traits, lol) they were of British colouring.

Good luck and btw, I have a free week of Ancestry for Canadian Marriages and I am APPALLED at the errors in it. So in my book, don't rely on Ancestry for *sourced material*........many dates were just a guess and out by 5+ years in my one line of Canadians. Haven't checked the other one.

Coromandel

A public tree on Ancestry says that Keith JOPP married Eleanor CAMPBELL in Liguanea, Jamaica in 1800 (no source given).
    In a Google Book search result I can see this text:
    'In Liguanea, Keith Jopp, Esq., to Miss Campbell, daughter of the late George Campbell, Esq...'

It is taken from Vere Langford Oliver's Caribbeana: being miscellaneous papers relating to the history, genealogy, topography, and antiquities of the British West Indies, originally published around 100 years ago in several volumes, but republished 2000. Unfortunately the book is only in 'snippet view' and the marriage announcement must be in an 'invisible' part of the book. I haven't been able to persuade Google Books to yield up the date of the marriage.

Heather

A public tree on Ancestry says that Keith JOPP married Eleanor CAMPBELL in Liguanea, Jamaica in 1800 (no source given). A quick look on Google Maps shows that there is a Liguanea in St.Andrew's Parish, Kingston, Jamaica, which would fit with the St.Andrew's Parish location given on the slave registers
    Had time for a quick look at the MI Inscriptions for the West Indies and found 2 JOPPS.........Charles Mitchell Jopp died 8 Sept 1861 at the age of 56........also a baby, Mary Ann Fanny Agnes JOPP died 30 July 1862 at 7 mos. 8 days. I have a link for that "tome" which is at a Toronto University. Also have it downloaded.

Btw.....there are a SLEW of Jopps on Patsy's site, but they are in the Pay Section and I would have to rejoin to see them. Ron has never heard the name so obviously they didn't stay on the Island.

Off to the surgeons...........sob.

Heather

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    In a Google Book search result I can see this text:
    'In Liguanea, Keith Jopp, Esq., to Miss Campbell, daughter of the late George Campbell, Esq...'

It is taken from Vere Langford Oliver's Caribbeana: being miscellaneous papers relating to the history, genealogy, topography, and antiquities of the British West Indies, originally published around 100 years ago in several volumes, but republished 2000. Unfortunately the book is only in 'snippet view' and the marriage announcement must be in an 'invisible' part of the book. I haven't been able to persuade Google Books to yield up the date of the marriage.
    I am pretty sure that this book is filmed by the LDS.......all but one of 5 volumes. My MI Inscriptions is from 1875 by Lawrence-Archer. And it probably has been filmed as well. I just keep a copy here on my hard drive.

According to Fasti Ecclesiae Scoticanae (Vol 6) Jean MOIR was the daughter of the Rev George MOIR, Minister of Kintore, and his wife Jean FORBES. George MOIR was in turn the son of Andrew MOIR and Agnes MONTGOMERY and was christened on 12 May 1679 in Foveran, Aberdeenshire. There is a great deal on this family available via the Internet Archive in a book called "The Families of Moir and Byers" by Andrew Mitchell Gill. Jean MOIR married James JOPP, who served several terms as Provost of Aberdeen
    https://
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Provosts_and_Lord_Provosts_of_Aberdeen
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Starting to feel at home

Again thank you one and all for the wonderful info. I am absolutely amazed at all of this and what you have found. Your hard work and effort is very much appreciated. I am trying to make sense of it all. I knew that George Taylors family were well known and there is a lot of family papers I am trying to get copies of but had no idea of anything about Chirstian Elizabeth his wife and where that would lead. I am going to send for their marriage certificate and I have just got Keith Jopp's will from the National archives today so am looking forward to reading that, should prove very interesting. All that information gives me so many ideas and ways to carry on the search so it is fantastic. I certainly seem to have an interesting family who moved around alot.

Elaine

Starting to feel at home

Hello again,
    Have just got will of James Jopp from the archives so have yet more to go through. I see Christian Elizabeth's name right away so this should prove interesting and helpful
    Thanks again

Elaine

A fountain of knowledge

You might find her at
    https://www.
    jamaicanfamilysearch.com/
    You have to pay for much of it, but the rates are very low compared to the "big boys".

Devanha

I think that Eleanor aged 45 was born in Germany!

Devanha

I also note a couple of references in newspapers in 1846 to a Captain Keith Jopp having arrived in Cheltenham - could he be the son of Keith & Eleanor? Is he the one baptised 1802, or did they perhaps have another son Keith born later???
    I think that they had a 2nd son called Keith b.1809 who was in the army.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123