Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thomasin

Default Thomas JONES, Vauxhall/Lambeth

I knew the Jones family would cause me trouble, and would be grateful for some fresh thoughts on this.

To start with what is known to be correct - my grandmother Eleanor Sarah Jones was born in 1884, the daughter of Thomas Jones and Elizabeth Todd who married in 1876. On the certificate Thomas is stated to be 20, a bricklayer, and Elizabeth 17 (the ink lines are a bit broken, but I think it's 17). Thomas's father was another Thomas Jones, a greengrocer.

On the 1881 census RG11; 596; 36; 13 Thomas junior (23), now a 'general dealer' and Elizabeth (22) are living, with their first two daughters Elizabeth and Caroline, in Regent Street, Lambeth with Thomas senior (77), now a 'coal dealer', and Elizabeth senior (76). I know this is the right family because I can follow them through the censuses as the family grows. (I remember Caroline - she was my mother's Auntie Carrie, married to Uncle Ed who could waggle his ears, and I used to be taken to tea with them in Surbiton.)

I know that I have the right marriage certificate for Thomas and Elizabeth junior, because I also have my grandmother's birth certificate, giving her mother's maiden name.

That's the end of the known-to-be-correct evidence.

What is strange is the age gap between Thomas and Elizabeth senior and Thomas junior, almost a missing generation, also the change in occupations.

In the 1871 census RG10; 665; 128; 15, Thomas and Elizabeth senior are already living in Regent Street, Lambeth. Thomas (70) is already a 'coal dealer', said to have been born in Vauxhall, and Elizabeth (68) born in Lambeth. (In 1881 it states that they were born born in Lambeth.)

I would like to send for the birth certificate for Thomas junior, but which one?

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Thomasin

Reputation beyond repute

Surely you have a generation missing there and son should be "Grandson"?

In 1871 where is Thomas JONES, b Lambeth in around 1858?

Could this be him in Devon with his real parents?
    RG 10/2063 f 74 p 41

Thomasin

Default Great Scot, Peter!

I think you're right. There was a rumour that both sides of my mother's family came originally from Devon, and I have been thinking this was mistaken.

If Thomas junior's mother was Caroline, this would account for the naming of his second daughter. Elizabeth could have been named after his grandmother. There was also a Henry later on, as there is in the family you found.

(Why can't I find this family on fmp?? When I type in the criteria it comes up with 0 results. I can only see it when I put in the census reference numbers.)

What I need now is a marriage for Thomas's parents, Thomas and Caroline. Can I find one? No. Can I find a birth for Thomas 1858-ish? No.

Thomasin

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Hi

I too had found the Jones family on Devon census for 1871, and was thinking like the others that the senior Thomas Jones (B. 1801-4) was actually the grandparents!

Here is the 1861 reference for the Devon Jones's: RG9/1395/63/7. I suspect that the son Charles b. app 1861 died and thus the one of the 1871 census being much younger. So, another Thomas b. 1824/25. At least they were consistent with naming convention!

I had been trying to find the younger Thomas (b.1857/58) on the 1891 but got nowhere. Although I did find them on the 1901 (RG13/417/138/43)

Cheers

Brick wall demolition expert!

Your missing generation. All in the same house. See 1891 below

Marriage Thomas Jones and possibly Caroline Knapman - Lambeth September 1852 - 1d 514

1861 Census RG 9/1395 Preston St, Exeter

Thomas Jones,head,37,labourer,Surrey,Lambeth
    Caroline Jones,wife,31,Devon, Exeter
    Thomas Jones, son, 4, scholar, Surrey, Lambeth
    Alfed Jones,son 2, Devon,Exeter
    Charles Jones, son, 1 mth, Devon, Exeter

Death - Charles Jones Dec 1863 Exeter 5B 57

1871 15, Preston St, Exeter

Thomas Jones,head,46,Hawker,Surrey,Lambeth
    Caroline Jones,wife,40,Devon, Exeter
    Thomas Jones, son, 14, scholar, Surrey, Lambeth
    Alfed Jones,son 12, Devon,Exeter
    Henry Jones, son, 5, Devon, Exeter
    Charles Jones, son, 3, Devon, Exeter

1891 49 regent Street, Vauxhall, Lambeth

Thomas Jones,head,66,General dealer,London,Lambeth
    Caroline Jones,wife,60,Devon, Exeter
    Charles Jones, son, 20,General Dealer, Devon, Exeter
    Caroline Jones, dau,16,Bottle Dealer, Devon, Exter

Thomas Jones, head, 33, Gerneal Deal, London, Lambeth
    Elizabeth, wife,33,,London, Lambeth
    Elizabeth,dau,14,Packer,do
    Caroline,dau,11,scholar,do
    Thomas,son,8,do,do
    Ellen,dau,6,do,do
    Emma,dau,4,do,do
    Henry,son,2,do,do

Thomasin

Default Fantastic!

Hi SueP

First of all, the reference for the 1891 census is RG12; 402; 25; 5. The only way I can find it is by keying in Caroline Jones 1880. I don't know why we can't get there via Thomas.

Thank you so much for the 1861 census. You are right about the naming convention - strings of Thomases and Elizabeths.

So now I need a marriage for Thomas and Caroline, a birth for Thomas 1858 and ideally a marriage for Thomas 1801-4 and Elizabeth 1805-ish.

I've tried FreeBMD for the first two, with no great success. I know that Thomas 1801-4 died in 1882, so perhaps I'll send for his death certificate. That might yield something.

Thanks again
    Thomasin

FreeBMD Thomas Jones 1855-1860 Lambeth returns

Sep 1856
    Jones Thomas Peacock Lambeth 1d 275

Jun 1857
    Jones Thomas William Lambeth 1d 321

Dec 1860
    JONES Thomas Lambeth 1d 294
    JONES Thomas Lambeth 1d 290

With a Jones family the census tells you more

Thomasin

Hallo Raffaele
    I've only just seen your two posts - thank you for all that information. Some of it I already had, but quite a lot is new! I'm especially pleased with the Caroline Knapman information. I obviously wasn't searching early enough. So many couples seemed to start having babies almost straight away, so I thought 1856 would be early enough to look for a marriage.

I had noticed the birth of Thomas Peacock Jones, and wondered if Caroline could have been a Peacock - but that was a red herring.

I have just sent off for Alfred John Jones's birth certificate (because Alfred is a little more unusual than Thomas) and also Thomas (b. 1801-5) Jones's death certificate, and wait with bated breath to see what they might reveal. I shall probably send for the Thomas/Caroline certificate, but I shall root around a bit first, to make sure it's the right one.

Thank you again.
    Thomasin

Thomasin

Another plea! Could some kind person please look for Caroline Knapman, b. abt. 1831, probably in Exeter but perhaps in Lambeth, in the 1851 census?

Thomasin

1841 HO 107/267/4 Guinea St, ST Mary Major, Exeter

John Knapman 30 Ag Lab In County
    Ann 30 do
    Catherine 10 do
    Mary 9 months do

There is a Caroline Knapman, a little older in Exeter 1851 but she is a servant and is still a servant in 1871. She was born in Somerset

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast