Thread: Sophia Chew

burachel

Default Sophia Chew

I Have had little success tracing the origins of Sophia Chew. know that she was sentenced at the Old Bailey on June 28 1820 (fines 1s and discharged), married Joseph Standerwick on June 2 1823 at St leonard's Shoreditch, and gave birth to 5 daughters, Hannah, Rachel, Jane, Sophia and Sarah before she died in the St Marlebone workhouse in 1832. I can find no evidence for her birth.

I am also surprised at the surname as it seems Chinese. Is it also a traditional English name?

Brick wall demolition expert!

I just looked at the old bailey site and found this

ELIZABETH LIPSCOMBE . I lodge in Rock-row, Lisson-grove . On the 6th of January, between ten and eleven o'clock in the morning, I lost these spoons - the prisoner's parents live next door. I found one spoon at the pawnbroker's

Her parents lived next door to the victim of her crime (Nicking two spoons)!

Lisson Grove is in the Marylebone area

https://www.oldbaileyonline.org/

Famous for offering help & advice michaelpipe's Avatar

There are a couple of people researching Sophia Chew in Marylebone/London b 1799-1801 on Genes Reunited. Might be worth trying to contact them. If you don't have a subscription let me know and I can contact them.
    There is also a one name study - might be worth a try
    https://www.
    one-name.org/profiles/chew.html
    Michael

Suffolk Pipe – one tree

Valued member of Brit-Gen barbara lee's Avatar

Hi Burachel

CHEW is a Lancashire (or West Yorkshire) name, apparently originating in the Blackburn, Haslingen, Burnley, Clitheroe and Skipton areas. According to the Archer Surname Atlas, there were 1,500 CHEWs in England and Wales in 1881, the vast majority of them in North-West England. Only a dozen in Marylebone, and further dozens in a few other London areas. This doesn't immediately help with your Sophia, who was in London as early as 1820, but don't be surprised if your research eventually leads back to Lancashire.

Barbara

burachel

Default Thanks Michael

Quote Originally Posted by michaelpipe View Post
    There are a couple of people researching Sophia Chew in Marylebone/London b 1799-1801 on Genes Reunited. Might be worth trying to contact them. If you don't have a subscription let me know and I can contact them.
    There is also a one name study - might be worth a try
    https://www.
    one-name.org/profiles/chew.html
    I did try posting on Genese Reunited several years aago but don't currently have a subscription. anything you can do to help would be appreciated.

Hugh Thompson

Hi burachel, you more than likely have this but would Charles Chew who married Susannah Salthouse 20 May 1830 at Saint Leonards, Shoreditch be her brother? I found him at Family Search Batch Number: I01907-8 Source Film Number: 855706. Reference Number: v 2 p 75.
    Hugh.

burachel

Thanks for that Hugh - I didn't have it and often you can find out lots more if you can track siblings.

Regards
    Rachel

Knowledgeable and helpful

I found a possible child for Charles and Susannah.

Henry Nathaniel Chew, baptised 23 June 1830, Spitalfields Christ Church with St Mary and St Stephen, Tower Hamlets, parents Charles and Susan Chew. It's interesting, because there are Chew marriages in that place.

Knowledgeable and helpful

I may have found Charles and Susan in the 1841 census.

Source: Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 727; Book: 7; Civil Parish: St Giles Without Cripplegate; County: Middlesex; Enumeration District: 7; Folio: 5; Page: 4; Line: 13.

Golden Lane, St Giles without Cripplegate.

Charles Chew. 30. (born c. 1811). Soldier. Born in the county
    Susan Chew. 30. (born c. 1811). Tailoress. Born in the county
    Eliza Chew. 5. (born c. 1836). Born in the county
    Sarah Chew. 2. (born c. 1839). Born in the county
    Charles Chew. 1 (born c. 1840). Born in the county.
    Last edited by Jan1954; 19-03-2012 at 6:46 AM. Reason: GSU roll number deleted, which is copyright