Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    willem

Default WW1 casualties list per year?

Hi,
    Does anybody know where I can find the (soldier)casualties per country per year?
    I'm trying to make a statistical landscape of WW1 but I can only find the casualties
    per country during the whole war, not the victims per year.
    The countries I'm most interrested in are;
    Russia, US, France, Italy, Great Brittain, Turkey, Germany and Austria-Hungaria
    Thanks,
    Willem

Terry Reeves

Default WW1 Casualties list per year

Willem

For British and Empire casualties you will need to get hold of a copy of "Staistics of the Military Effort of the British Empire During the Great War" originally published by the War office in 1922. This gives casualties on a moth by month basis, in all theatres.

Terry Reeves

Geoffers

Terry has pointed you towards British casualties, I know that national repositories for (at least some) other countires hold similar records; but it may be quite difficult to track them down.

An alternative might be to get a good history of WW1 recording the major battles and losses sustained on each side - from which you might be able to make a very rough estimate of casualties for the countries you mention. A good publisher of books on conflicts is the Naval and Military Press, they have a website which is quite well organised:

Geoffers
    Charlbury, Oxfordshire