Amlet

Red face Thomas Globe - a foundling with a dynasty.

On the 13-01-2011 I posted a query in the brick wall thread about Thomas Globe a foundling who I believed, and am now certain, was the founder of our family name. Since then there have been numerous twists and turns, moments of frustration and a eureka moment when he finally was found, patiently waiting for me, in the London Metropolitan Archives.

On Friday I received the transcripts and copies of his entries from the LMA. Thomas was probably born in or near London and admitted to the London Foundling Hospital on July 20 1759 aged about one month. He spent four days in the Foundling Hospital infirmary until July 24, when he was sent to a wet nurse in the country, Sarah Ledger at Walton-upon-Thames. He remained with Sarah Ledger until he was returned to the Foundling Hospital in London on October 1, 1768. From there he was sent to the country hospital at Ackworth, Yorkshire between the 21 and 27 of November 1768. He was apprenticed (indentured) to Richard Norton, a nailor, on June 5, 1769.

And as they say, the rest is history.

Thanks to all those who have helped me on my way, especially to Nicolina - a fountain of patient knowledge and a pillar of constant support.

Richard Globe

Mutley

How wonderful,
    to find that sort of information, that far back.....
    well, it brings tears to the eyes.

Congratulations to all involved.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Wonderful news, Richard! I'm so glad you got a positive result.

Many thanks for updating us.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    How wonderful,
    to find that sort of information, that far back.....
    well, it brings tears to the eyes.

Congratulations to all involved.
    But makes you think how Sarah and Thomas felt being parted after 9yrs!

Nicolina

Thomas (aka John Ball) was only a baby when admitted to the Foundling Hospital. He was then sent to a "nurse" in Surrey before going back to the hospital and qn to Ackworth in Yorkshire. When he was 9 he was ""apprenticed"" until he was 21. It really is an amazing co-incidence that both Amlet's and my foundlings were were born within a couple of weeks of each other, admitted to the Hospital and also tranferred to Ackworth around the same time. There are slight differences between the two but they are insignificant. Unfortunately my foundling died in 1800 (aged 40) so he never got to see his 7 childreng grow up.