Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    jeeb

Smile John Nash Burial

Hi Lottie,
    I am not sure if you or your 'knowledgable friend' are aware but about 15 years ago I began compiling the Worcestershire Burial Index 1660 -1840. I indexed most Worcestershire parishes north, east and west of Worcester city and including some city parishes. Claines and Kidderminster included. About 5 years ago I handed all my work over to the Birmingham and Midland Society for Genealogy and Heraldry (BMSGH) who have done a great deal more work on it since. It may well be worth contacting them to see if they can locate John and Sarah Nash buried.
    Jeremy.

Lottie

Default Worcestershire Workhouses

Jeremy

I didn't know you were the person who compiled it - but have accessed the BMSGH Burial Index - which is now available on CD in the National Burial Index.

Investigation has proved that the Cerificate I have for John ( 1840) is not him - but there is a possible burial at Claines in 1837 which is roughly the correct age - possibly means that Harriet was not born posthumously in November 1839 - but had another father !!
    Full details are being checked !

Family Lore had recorded that Harriet was born either just before or just after her father died !! ( Cert has now been ordered :-))

Sarah died in 1841 - recorded Dec ¼ - have not been able to locate a burial in NBI , for her - definately not Claines , or therefore St George's !! The family were living in York Place, Whitstones in 1841 census, the same address as that given when Sarah died.
    I gather there are several possiblities of locations for her burial, the 2 most likely St Oswald's and a Burial ground at Tallow Hill, are being checked.

Actually Jeremy you have done me a favour - by encouraging me to take John NASH out of the too hard basket and have another look. Because I now find from the age at death, that neither would have been of Full Age in 1820, but only 19 yrs, born 1801/02. Have located Baptisms that fit, for both - but they will have to be investigated.
    Regards

Lottie

jeeb

Default Nash family

Hi Helen,
    It is possible Sarah could have been buried at Tallow Hill Cemetery in 1841 but it was the other side of town from Tything of Whitstones and I don't think it was a huge cemetery, it closed about 1895 I think and is now a car park.
    There is one Nash family, William (Head) age 48 born Claines living in Tything of Whitstones in 1851 but not in York Place. Also there is Ann age 50 wid. born Dodderhill and Elizabeth 19 servant born Worcester living there at other addresses. If you think any of these are relevant and want more details let me know. I'm afraid I don't have enough details of the people you are searching for to know if I'm on the right tracks!
    Cheers Jeremy.

Lottie

Default Worcestershire Workhouses April 1826

Jeremy

Thanks for the extra info. I own both a Transcript and Scans of the original pages for the 1851 - also have 1841 and 1861/71 scanned onto CD.

The ones of the offspring of John and Sarah ( nee Williams) I am missing from 1851 are Elizabeth ( Born March 1821) and Walter Born April 1826 - Elizabeth is also missing in 1841 - leastwise I haven't located her yet!
    The remainder in 1851 were either living in Kidderminster or residing at the Worcester Workhouse !
    Lottie
    New Zealand

jeeb

Default Harriet Nash

Hi Lottie,
    I must be missing something here! Harriet Nash the daughter of John and Sarah was Baptised 26th October 1829 at Claines. Harriet Nash who is on the 1851 census at Worcester workhouse is only 11 (10 year age gap!) Did John and Sarah have another Harriet or if as you now suspect John died in 1837 at Claines, Harriet in workhouse can't be his daughter surely? Am I correct in assuming Alfred Arthur Nash bap 11 Aug 1833 is the eventual husband of Margaret who dies at Powick Asylum? Hope you don't mind my taking an interest in your research.
    Jeremy

Lottie

Jeremy

No, I don't mind at all , your taking an interest in the NASH enigma !!
    John and Sarah had 3 Harriets ( at least Sarah did ) the parentage of the 3rd is in doubt.
    Firstly family lore states Harriet was born either just before or just after John died ! a slight exaggeration me thinks - 1837-1839 !! Therefore that is why I thought the Death Mar ¼1840 ,was my John's - I was wrong, the Cert. Copy proves it wasn't John NASH Bootmaker, but a Blacksmith aged 53 or 83 on Cert, NBI says 73 !!!

The Harriet's were - Bapt Claines 26 November 1829 Buried April 1831

" " July 1832 " July 1835
    Regsitered Dec ¼ 1839 +

That's the one in the Workhouse on 1851 Census !!
    There were also 2 Alfreds 1. Bapt Aug. 1828 Buried November 1828
    and as you have rightly guessed Alfred Arthur Bapt 11 August 1833 , husband to Margaret Roebuck is my 2X Gt Grandfather !!

Just to further muddy the water, Alfred Arthur and Margaret ,had a daughter Harriet born November 1851 buried Feb 1852,, but in Kidderminster !!

I suspect all the children were placed in Worcester Workhouse, on Sarah's Death in 1841 - except possibly Elizabeth ( 1821) and Walter (1824) .

its hard to enough to sort NASHes in WOR , without losing them also !

There are in the NBI death of a Charles in 1852 at St Oswald's one in Droitwich of a Walter in 1853 , my friend is checking these entries - for details , also the ages given. Walter's is the most possible, but I wonder why he didn't appear in 1851 Census !! Also -30 Mar 1837 Elizabeth Ann NASH 16 Worcs Claines, St John the Baptist
    but she was only Baptised Elizabeth - ( no Ann )

jeeb

Default Harriet Nash?

Hi Helen (Lottie)
    I am not sure where you have obtained your information from but I think there are a few errors which may or may not please you! The following Baptisms are in Claines and are for children of John and Sarah Nash.
    Elizabeth Ann 28 Mar 1821
    John 25 Dec 1822 bur 2 Jan 1823
    William 25 Dec 1822 bur 2 Jan 1823
    John 20 Jan 1824
    Walter 8 Apr 1826
    Alfred 4 Aug 1828 bur 9 Nov 1828
    Harriet 26 Oct 1829
    Alfred Arthur 11 Aug 1833
    Charles 23 Dec 1834

Please note:-
    1)Elizabeth ANN bap. 1821, so will most likely be child aged 16 bur in 1837, that clears her up
    2) Harriet Bap. Claines 29 July 1832 is the dau of James and Maria Nash NOT
    John and Sarah.

Do you have a Harriet aged 2 with Sarah on the 1841 census? Otherwise the ages of the Nash children in the Worcester Workhouse do not tie up with the ages of John and Sarah's children.
    Jeremy.

Lottie

Jeremy

I have just pulled out my Transcript of St John the Baptist, Claines - Records
    ( This taken from the LDS Film of P R's , 1994 )
    and find -
    Elizabeth Ann NASH 28 March 1821 Baptised - I hadn't copied the Ann into my database -
    NB.looks as though John and dau. Elizabeth may have died within a week of each other -

John born 1824 died Jan. 1828 Buried at Claines
    The Harriet born 1832 died 1834 dau. of James and Maria NASH , I have recorded. but why I inserted the info. in my database I cannot tell you. *
    A senior moment I suppose :-)

I extracted this family,at the same time, James was a forename used frequently in later generations of NASH Family - I was hopeful I may find a link bet. James and John!
    John and Sarah's Harriet Bapt 26 October 1829 - died 10th July 1835 aged 5 years

In 1841 Census Family appeared as this -
    York Place, Whitstones
    Sarah NASH W F 40yrs Gloveress Born in County
    Walter Son U 15 "
    Alfred " U 10 "
    Charles " U 6 "
    Harriet dau U 2 "

Alfred would have been only 8 years in 1841 - Harriet born Dec ¼ 1839 would have only been 18mths ( but expect enumerator applied rounding - but went the wrong way!)
    Harriet is listed as age 11 and Charles as age 14 in 1851 Census..but Charles should have been 16 by 1851.

I don't know it is Charles son of Johnerations of NASH Family - I was hopeful I may find a link bet. James and John!
    John and Sarah's Harriet Bapt 26 October 1829 - died 10th July 1835 aged 5 years

In 1841 Census Family appeared as this -
    York Place, Whitstones
    Sarah NASH W F 40yrs Gloveress Born in County
    Walter Son U 15 "
    Alfred " U 10 "
    Charles " U 6 "
    Harriet dau U 2 "

Alfred would have been only 8 years in 1841 - Harriet born Dec ¼ 1839 would have only been 18mths ( but expect enumerator applied rounding - but went the wrong way!)
    Harriet is listed as age 11 and Charles as age 14 in 1851 Census..but Charles should have been 16 by 1851.

I don't know it is Charles son of John and Sarah , but cannot find another in 1851 born 1834 - and as Sarah died in Dec 1841, its possible all the younger children went to the Workhouse.
    But there are no Workhouse Records surviving to support that theory!

I know now why they say - "don't rely on transcripts" - so easy to make an error, even making your own database !

Helen
    Last edited by Lottie; 25-07-2005 at 4:45 AM. Reason: Sections repeated

jeeb

Default Sorted that!

Hi Helen,
    Glad we seem to have sorted out the Harriets. Not too sure about the Charles but 2 years on a census is often neither here nor there. Pleased I made you re examine your notes, it surprising how often we miss things right under our noses isn't it? I am referring to Elizabeth Ann in this instance. Is there anything you would like me to check for you in Worcester R O when I next go? Jeremy

Lottie

Jeremy
    Am really sorted now, except friend 'Gus' has checked the Claines Burials, Elizabeth Ann and John correct he also found one I hadn't, Sarah NASH buried Dec 1841 - is my Sarah :
    Now have been able to narrow the Birth possiblities for John and Sarah.
    Burial John Nash born 1824 in 1828 is Not Sarah and John's son- so we have a stray John missing , like Walter not on 1851. John also not with family in 1841.
    Pretty sure Burial at St Andrew's Droitwich ( From Union) of Walter NASH 1853 , is Walter - there is a Charles buried at St Oswald's in 1852 which could be Charles, though age in NBI doesn't fit.
    Gus is checking that !!
    So its what happened to John and what to Harriet ( and possibly Charles) that remains unsolved.Will trawl 1841 Census, sometime in future -( have a copy on Cd from Archive CD Books.

Thanks for your offer of research at WRO - but at this stage I will decline-
    Will continue this off-forum as think we have now concluded the Workhouse theme !
    Regards

Helen

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast