Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Titanicfan

Default Overseas Army Birth Regs - Malta

Hi all

I am trying to locate the children of my ancestor who were born in Malta whilst he was in the Army. I found their birth details from his service record but I have searched the FamilyRelatives website and could not find them in the overseas births or army births. Could anyone help me locate their overseas birth details so that I can order their certificates?

Thank you.

Titanicfan

Richard1955

Hi Titanicfan
    You should find information here: www.
    maltagenealogy.com/
    or here:https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
    or you can post the details you have and we'll try and find the records for you.

Reputation beyond repute

Have you heard the interesting and useful National Archives podcast?

Army deaths, marriages and births 1761-1913
    from The National Archives Podcast Series
    Many family trees fall at the hurdle of locating the death of a British soldier, his marriage or the birth of his children. The records available are woefully incomplete, scattered and often not fully indexed. In this presentation, Chris Watts examines the material available for tracing these events, for a pre-First World War British soldier, and guides the researcher in its use; material available on microfiche, microfilm or the Internet is highlighted.

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/d...s/army-bmd.mp3

Titanicfan

Thank you everyone for your helpful replies. I have listened to TNA podcast which has given me some useful info. and visited the very useful Malta website. I have searched the FMP overseas birth index but unfortunately I do not have a subscription so I am unable to obtain the full references. Would the IGI contain the details?

Reputation beyond repute

You can order a certificate without supplying a full reference. There is now no advantage in terms of cost in supplying a reference (but it is quicker).

In any case, as you will have picked up from the podcast, indexing is only patchy so sometimes you have no choice but to order without a reference.

Melbourne Aust. ~ a drop kick away from the Essendon Airport - 9 miles out of Melbourne

Was your ancestor married to a Maltese lady

If so, the mothers always register the births at their local Parish Church.

Titanicfan

I will order an overseas certificate as I have the birth dates from the Army service record and I can patiently await the certificate arrival. My ancestor did indeed marry a local Maltese lady so thank you for letting me know about birth registration at the local parish church. I wonder if their marriage is also registered at the local parish church as they were both Roman Catholic? How would I find out about parish church records in Malta?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi TF,
    Hadn't realised till just now that you hadn't been referred to the best-ever site for Malta, especially with regard to British service personnel.
    https://
    website.lineone.net/~stephaniebidmead/
    It does involve clicking on several different indexes (and note that there are two pages of indexes), but it is worthwhile.
    Pam

Titanicfan

Thanks for the website details, Pam. I have already visited this website and found lots of useful info.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanicfan View Post
    Thanks for the website details, Pam. I have already visited this website and found lots of useful info.
    Though presumably not the bit you wanted.
    Pam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast