David Annis

Default A Grand Day Out in Shropshire

We had a great day out last week in Shropshire. Together with my wife, daughter and my half sister, who acted out as our guide, we toured round Cleobury Mortimer and some of the village churches. We met several local people along the way and found them to be very friendly and helpfull.
    Apart from Cleobury, we visited, Hopton Wafers, Crumps Brook, Bitterley, Caynham and Coreley. The churchyards were kept in pristine conditon and were a joy to visit. I did not expect to find family gravestones as they were nearly all AG workers or they worked at local quarrys. We did find two from a branch of the family, Tonks, at Bitterley.
    At Crumps Brook, it was a mission to find the remains of the family cottage, it burnt down in the late 40s.
    My half sister had stayed there a lot when she was a child and she took us to a bridleway that would lead us to the cottage. Alas halfway down it became a wet and muddy track, so we will return there again armed with wellington boots.
    At Crumps Brook we happened to meet with an old gentleman in his 90s and my sister spent 20 mins talking to him and recalling memories and people they both knew. What a sharp memory this man had and he looked as fit as a fiddle, he remembered the cottage burning down and told us a few other local stories as well.
    It was sad to find all the churches were locked but then thats the age we live in today.
    We will be going back again, somehow I managed to miss out the village of Farlow so with that and Crumps Brook we will return.
    As a matter of interest, the families I am recording are Thomas Family and the Brown family, from this area.
    I would say that if you wanted a nice day out then head for the Clee Hills, if only for the lambs, the wild flowers and the views.
    Cheers
    Dave

Richard1955

A lovely part of the country and a great way to spend your time.
    Until your next trip why don't you try exploring with google maps using the Earth view/ street view.

David Annis

Thank you Richard.
    I Google earthed it and I think I have spotted what could be the foundations, though I would have to get my sister to confirm the site. As its out on the common at Crumps Brook and the only way is down a narrow muddy bridle path, I dont think Google would have gone or even got down there. (not without their wellies anyway).
    Cheers
    Dave.

Richard1955

Hi David.
    The street view filming was done from the roof of a car so you won't be able to walk up the lane.
    You can zoom in with Google Earth though. It's a great tool to have for genealogy.
    I've looked at my great grandfather's house, churches and all sorts from the comfort of my armchair.