cdnsctgirl

Default WINKEL/WINKELL family

I am looking for information on the family of George Frederick WINKEL. He was born 24 July 1857 and christened 31 October 1858 in Saint Peter Parmentergate, Norwich. Parents were Joseph Henry WINKELL and Matilda. Possible sibling was Ellen WINKEL (c1870).

Thanks,

Sarah

Geoffers

<FONT face="Abadi MT Condensed Light">I had a quick look in the 1851 census to see if the parents were recorded:

HO107/1817 f356 p22
    Rail Cottage No.64, Right Up Lane, Wymondham
    Joseph WINKELL, Head, Mar, 25, Rail Gate Keeper, Colchester-Ess
    Matilda WINKELL, Wife, Mar, 21, , Attleborough
    Sarah A. WINKELL, Daur, , 1, , Wymondham
    William JOHNSON, Vist, , 5, Scholar, Attleborough

The freebmd website https://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl
    has an entry for the birth of Sarah Winkell

Mar 1850 WINKELL, Sarah Ann Forehoe v13 p140

The certificate would give you the maiden name of the mother which would help in searching for the marriage of the parents.

Whilst in Norwich - and also born Colchester, may be a relative:

HO107/1814 f34 p13

cdnsctgirl

Thank you so much! This does indeed look like the right family, as the parents' birthplaces match with what I have. I did not know about a daughter named Sarah, though. Now I have something else to go on!

Sarah

Geoffers

For some unknown reason, the bottom of my last message was chopped off.

I meant to also include the following entry from the 1851 census, bearing in mind the birthplace, they may possibly be related:

HO107/1814 f3 p13
    Watsons Buildings, St.Faith's Lane, Norwich St.Peter Per Mountergate
    John WINKEL, Head, Mar, 31, Carpenter Jour, Colchester-Essex
    Rebecca WINKEL, Wife, Mar, 31, ---, Witham-Essex

Geoffers
    Charlbury, Oxfordshire

cdnsctgirl

It's very possible that they are related. I found a John WINCLE on the IGI, born in Colchester, Essex, to a Joseph WINCLE and Sarah in 1820. To this same couple was born a Joseph WINCLE in 1825. I also found a Joseph Henry WINKELL who was born to a Josh. WINKELL and Sarah in 1825. I don't know if this is just a duplicate Joseph. The dates make sense, but I need to do a little more sleuthing.

Thanks for the lookups!

Sarah

John Criddle

Default Winkel Family

Joseph Henry Winkel, the father George Frederick Winkel, is the brother of George William Winkel who migrated to Queensland, Australia around 1860. I have constructed a family tree for the descendants of G W Winkel in Australia, which also includes his siblings and parents who remained in England. Let me know if you are interested in further details.
    Regards,
    John Criddle

cdnsctgirl

I would be very interested in any information on this WINKEL family, even distant relations. You can e-mail me at [email protected].

Thanks so much!

Sarah