Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hilder Family

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by olliecat View Post
    I was wondering if Thomas was Mary Ridley's father. Mary does state she was born in Bury St Edmund.
    There is a non-conformist christening ...

name: Mary Ridley
    event type: Baptism
    christening date: 08 Nov 1819
    christening place: Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk
    father's name: Thomas Ridley
    mother's name: Mary Ridley
    (family search)

They had other children too.

Think I'll go and check out the christening.

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    'Tis my own fault for calling myself a nerd in the first place (but I hope the name isn't going to stick! ) Perhaps I need to invent a new name? If we're to be the classic cartoon threesome I should really be a mouse, I suppose.

Did someone say chocolate?
    Danger Mouse, Speedy Gonzalas, Micky Mouse or maybe Tom's mate Gerry.

On that note, I had better go for dinner. I'll be back later.

Coromandel

I couldn't see a PCC will for Richard. Perhaps one went through the lower courts.
    From Probate records in the court of the Archdeacon of Sudbury 1801-1858 (edited by Mary Rix et al.; published 2002, snippets visible on Google Books):
    HILDER, Richard, farmer, Cockfield, 1827, R2/105/515, Wl/28l/69
    [HILDER,] Richard, farmer, Cockfield, 1851, R2/1 13/70, Wl/305/19

I can't see the bit that explains the abbreviations, but am hoping that 'W' means will.

(Pre-1858 probate records for the Court of the Archdeaon of Sudbury are held at the Bury St Edmunds branch of the Suffolk Record Office.)
    Last edited by Coromandel; 02-04-2011 at 6:17 PM. Reason: To add bit about record office

The Bury & Norwich Post, Wednesday 1 Nov 1826
    'On the same day [i.e. 'On Sunday last'], in her 88th year, after a long and painful affliction, Catherine, the wife of Mr. Richard Hilder, sen. of Cockfield Cottage.'
    Boyds Marriage Index has a marriage between a Richard Hilder and Cath Norman. 1762 at Gt Whelnetham.

There is a non-conformist christening ...

name: Mary Ridley
    event type: Baptism
    christening date: 08 Nov 1819
    christening place: Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk
    father's name: Thomas Ridley
    mother's name: Mary Ridley
    Provided that the marriage certificate of Edward Hilder to Mary Ridley confirms that her father's name is Thomas, then the non-conformist baptism record of Mary Ridley will also give you the name of her maternal grandparents. You can view the record on bmdregisters or thegenealogist.

Bury & Norwich Post, Wednesday 7 Feb 1827
    'On Thursday last, in his 85th year, Richard Hilder, Gent. of Cockfield Cottage...'
    From this we have an estimated birth date of about 1742. From the NBI his burial was held on 8 Feb 1827 at Cockfield.

Can't be certain this is the correct christening for Richard Hilder Snr. It would require further investigation.

name: Richard Hilder
    baptism/christening date: 12 Jan 1743
    baptism/christening place: Norton, Suffolk, England
    father's name: John Hilder
    mother's name: Susan

Note: Norton is pretty near Bury St Edmunds.

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel
    Perhaps I need to invent a new name? If we're to be the classic cartoon threesome I should really be a mouse, I suppose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    Danger Mouse, Speedy Gonzalas, Micky Mouse or maybe Tom's mate Gerry.
    Well, I've spent a nostalgic hour or so trawling the web for cartoon mice. Most of the female mice seem to be a bit too pink and girly (Minnie with her polka dots and bows; Angelina with her ballet). Not me at all! I think I will have to go for a mouse from a book instead: Hunca Munca from The Tale of Two Bad Mice. I think she could hold her own against a certain cat and dog.

P.S. sorry, caperone, for this diversion in the middle of your family history. It's all Mutley's fault for calling me rude names I shall join back in the quest for the Hilders now...

Caperone, from your other thread, you posted this...

I am looking for information about the parents, wife, and children of John Hilder DOB 1712 England. I can only find his wife listed as Mrs John Hilder (DOB @1716 England) whom he married @1737 in England. This missing link has me at a stand still. Can you help???
    Perhaps the information came from this christening...

John Hilder
    christening date: 21 Feb 1712
    place: Norton, Suffolk, England
    parents: John Hilder, Elizabeth
    (family search)

And this marriage...

groom's name: John Hilder
    bride's name: Susan Eastland
    marriage date: 07 Oct 1737
    marriage place: Norton, Suffolk, England
    (family search)

I would still say that further work is required before deciding absolutely that John and Susan are the parents of Richard Hilder, born abt 1742. See post #26

Note to self: must go and research Hunca Munca from 'The Tale of Two Bad Mice'

Coromandel

Provided that the marriage certificate of Edward Hilder to Mary Ridley confirms that her father's name is Thomas, then the non-conformist baptism record of Mary Ridley will also give you the name of her maternal grandparents. You can view the record on bmdregisters or thegenealogist.
    This double wedding was announced in the Bury & Norwich Post, Weds 2 January 1839:
    'Yesterday (Tuesday) at the Independent Chapel, Northgate-street, Mr. Thomas Ridley, jun., grocer, to Miss Cook, eldest daughter of Mr. Cook, hosier, of the Butter Market; also, at the same Chapel, Mr. Hilder jun., farmer, of Cockfield, to Mary, eldest daughter of Mr. Thomas Ridley, sen., grocer, of Abbeygate-street.'

It looks like there is much more about the Ridleys in the online newspapers . . . I will report back a little later.

Coromandel

This explains why Thomas Ridley's wife is not present on the 1841 census:

Bury & Norwich Post, Weds 27th May 1835
    (Death)
    'On Thursday last, aged 39, Mary, the beloved wife of Mr. Thomas Ridley, grocer, of Abbeygate-street, in this town, leaving a husband and ten children to lament their irreparable loss.'

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast