Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by EL1570 View Post
    As to finding the marriage -- that is the problem that I was hoping identifying Fanny's place of birth may help ! In 1911, her husband says that they have been married 24 years (and that corresponds with the ages of their children shown in the census).
    Hi again Peter

Perhaps the best way forward now would be to order a birth certificate for one of the children of George and Fanny, which should reveal Fanny's maiden name and so help you find that elusive marriage. Can you identify any of the births in the GRO index?

Thank you - as far as I can see, Juniper Hill does not figure in any of the enumerators descriptions for those parishes -- nor anything that might be mis-read / mis-heard as such. The children do not 'obviously' appear in the GRO birth indexes - so working out who Fanny's really is will take more detective work !! I am sure it can be 'solved' -- and I 'like a challenge' ! Thank you all for your suggestions -- I will post the outcome in due course. Peter

Thank you all for your suggestions -- in the end, a chance was taken that I had identified the right children in the GRO, and so a birth certificate was ordered -- the parents names both matched, so that looks very likely to be correct (More work to 'prove' it needed !). Following back Fanny's line, came to a census entry in Cottisford, Oxfordshire - the family later living at Kegworth on the Leics / Derbys/Notts border area. Following that back, the particular family were living in the part of Cottisford parish called ...... Juniper Hill ! This is not 'absolute' proof of a match -- but looks 'very likely' -- and if so, means that both the 1891 census ( clearly saying Derbyshire) and 1901 census (possibly saying Leics - it is a bit faint) have the wrong county.
    So - those who suggested the hamlet near Brackley were correct -- and (until proven otherwise !) there is no Juniper Hill in Derbyshire.
    It is helpful to have the 'thoughts of others' -( "two, or more, heads are better than one", etc)- but you 'never know' "which" piece of the evidence is wrong, to therefore ignore, until 'further down the line' !!!! Peter

Reputation beyond repute

For the handful of people who don't know, Juniper Hill OXF is Lark Rise - as in Flora Thompson's semi-autobiographical novels and the TV soap.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by EL1570 View Post
    the particular family were living in the part of Cottisford parish called ...... Juniper Hill
    Thanks for updating us. Good to know you've resolved the problem.

Growing old Disgracefully

Juniper Hill

Could be called this by locals, the clue is in the name look for a hill where Juniper Berry's Grow or grew in olden days.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12