Aussielover

Default Searching for info on a Benjamin Edwards

I'm trying to obtain any information on Benjamin Edwards born abt 1819 in I believe Walsall. He married a Harriett Davis where they lived in Darlaston. I'm primarily looking to find out Benjamin's parents names. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,
    Eileen

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Aussielover View Post
    I'm trying to obtain any information on Benjamin Edwards born abt 1819 in I believe Walsall. ... I'm primarily looking to find out Benjamin's parents names.
    Hi Eileen.

Have you discounted this christening?

Name: Benjamin Edwards
    Baptism/Christening Date: 06 Aug 1817
    Baptism/Christening Place: Saint Matthew, Walsall, Stafford, England
    Father's Name: Charles Edwards
    Mother's Name: Penelopy
    (from family search)

If I have the correct Benjamin Edwards, then he is in the census with Harriet in 1851 and 1861, then in 1871 he is married to a Sarah. Her son is staying and is called Thomas Small.

So, this could be a second marriage for both ...

Marriages Jun 1866 Walsall 6b 830
    EDWARDS Benjamin
    HARRISON Charles
    SMALL Sarah
    SMITH Louisa H

If you want to play it safe, then this marriage certificate should give you his father's name.

Aussielover

No I haven't discounted it. It seems close enough. Seems I'm definitely going to have to order the marriage certificate to be absolutely sure.

Thank you so much for your assistance in gathering this information, I really appreciate it.

Aussielover

Hum, interesting. I know that Harriett died in 1866 but wasn't aware of the possibility of his remarrying. I wish to thank you again for assisting me with finding out this information on my family you've been a great help.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussielover View Post
    Hum, interesting. I know that Harriett died in 1866 but wasn't aware of the possibility of his remarrying.
    Best that you check the 1871 census to make sure he's your Benjamin. I'd hate you to rush off and buy a marriage certificate only to find out he's not. I haven't got the census ref handy. I can go and find it for you if needs be.

lizplummer

Default Benjamin Edwards

I just looked up that baptism and there is additional information: he had a twin called Elizabeth, and also they lived at Park Street, and Charles was a blacksmith.

If you think this is your ancestor, they also had at least two other children: Jane (bap 3 Feb 1819) and Charles (bap. 18 April 1821). All St Matthew's Walsall.

Aussielover

Well it would seem that this is the family. Not knowing for sure if he was born in 1819 or 1817 could make a big difference. Thank you so very much for the additional information. I really appreciate it. Trying to locate family ancestry in England and me living in California makes for quite a difficult task. My main resource so far has been Ancestry.com and the LDS information. Again Thank You so very much for the additional information.

Quote Originally Posted by lizplummer View Post
    I just looked up that baptism and there is additional information: he had a twin called Elizabeth, and also they lived at Park Street, and Charles was a blacksmith.

If you think this is your ancestor, they also had at least two other children: Jane (bap 3 Feb 1819) and Charles (bap. 18 April 1821). All St Matthew's Walsall.

lizplummer

You're welcome!