Colin Rowledge

Default How old is the"Majestic Hotel" Eastbourne?

This hotel stands at 26-34 Royal Parade, Eastbourne on what was previously the site of a row of Apartment Houses. The one that was located at #34 was operated in partnership by a lady who is of immense interest to me. This was in 1911. When did the Hotel get built and what became of the owners of the properties there, particularly #34?

Thanks

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Colin,
    Have you emailed the hotel to see if present management know when it was built?

Try the Historical directories. www.
    historicaldirectories.org/hd/

If you have a world sub or UK premium sub to Ancestry, try the phone books.
    Pam

Richard1955

Hi Colin.
    Some info on google and it looks like The Majestic Hotel were original a Georgian/victorian houses and converted to a hotel in the 1920's or 30's.
    The next census may tell you who lived at No 34 other than a visit to the local library.
    I don't think there is any other way to find out who lived at No 34

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Richard1955 View Post
    Hi Colin.
    Some info on google and it looks like The Majestic Hotel were original a Georgian/victorian houses and converted to a hotel in the 1920's or 30's.
    The next census may tell you who lived at No 34 other than a visit to the local library.
    I don't think there is any other way to find out who lived at No 34
    Hi Richard.
    That was my 1st thought when I goofled the place. My lady, if I have the right death, died in 1922. She was actually born in 1863 which would make her 59. With the money she may have made from the sale, it would appear that she so impressed the informant with her youthful looks, thatthe informant indicated her age age as 44.

Colin

Mutley

Both the ladies named as 'Proprietress' in 1911 were servants in earlier periods of their lives, wonder how they made the jump?

Did she not leave a will giving an address where she died?

Coromandel

A few suggestions for sources of info, online and off:

• Ancestry's UK City and County Directories collection includes Kelly's directories for Sussex for 1909, 1911, 1913, 1918, 1930 and 1938, among others.
    • Try contacting Eastbourne Library, where there's a local studies collection (see this PDF file for details).
    • Or the Eastbourne Local History Society: www. eastbournehistory.org.uk/

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    Both the ladies named as 'Proprietress' in 1911 were servants in earlier periods of their lives, wonder how they made the jump?

Did she not leave a will giving an address where she died?
    I wondered the same as you, Mutley, and think that mine [who was the younger of the 2 ladies] may have inherited a package from one of her previous employers. I have not been able to find her in 1881 [when about 19], however in 1891 she worked for the Paget family in Paddingto - his occupation was a stockbroker, and 1901 she worked for a wealthy widow by the name of Francis Lee Morier in Tunbridge Wells. Francis Lee was 81 and had her unmarried daughter Agneta Clara - aged in her 50's - living with her. There were several servants including a live-in nurse attending to Francis Lee.

Francis Lee Morier died on March 20, 1903 and her estate was probated later that year in the amount of 12,620 pounds and was granted to Agneta Clara. I don't have a copy of her will, but suspect that each of the servants was presented with a sum of money and that is where Maria's came from.

Have yet to find out, for sure, if the lady - Maria Knight - who died in Eastbourne in 1922 is mine or not

Colin

Colin Rowledge

Haven't found anything that can lead me to a will and given the disparity in age on the BMD index, I'm reluctant to buy one. If push comes to shove, I will, but are there any other ideas out there?

Colin