tribi

Default March 2011 Update problem

Is anyone else experiencing problems updating. The installation begins then freezes on my screen.

Mike Fry

A little more information would help. Contact me on mikefry (at) iafrica (dot) com

tribi

Thanks Mike, will do
    Tribi

Mike Fry

For others who may be interested, I will close this thread with a synopsis of the problem, how it manifests itself, and the solution that we eventually arrive at.

Mike Fry

I now believe the problem of being one where the user started upgrading before I'd released everything properly. As a result, the package that he'd downloaded was incomplete. Basically, he caught me whilst I was setting things up.

> Firstly you are informed that new software is available to download so:-

> Choose update (click on next ) ok
    > WinReg for Windows (next) ok
    > Prequisite (box is blank ) (next) ok
    > Upgrade older version - no install......(next) ok
    > File Association - yes Reg. to handle the files (next) ok
    > Configure.- all boxes are ticked (next) ok
    > Select shortcuts - Winreg for Windows (next) ok
    > Install ok
    > Files in use (box is blank ) ok

> Retry or ignore - you click on retry and my screen freezes and the only way out is
    > to shut down computer and restart.

I have also had this happen to me, whilst I was checking the updating process out for general usage. I think I solved it by deleting the downloaded file and starting again.

The file, Setup-WinREG-3.1.6.exe, should be in the folder

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\FreeREG\WinREG for Windows\updates\WinREG 3.1.6

and should be over 2Mb in size. If it isn't, delete it and start the update again. Also, at the Install prompt, you might want to have closed the running copy of WinREG that initiated the upgrade.