Abbreviation

Default Israel Hoppet St Pancras

I have been looking at my wonderfully named ancestor Israel Hoppet's records. He was born 1810/11 in Cambridgeshire. I have him on the 1851 census living in civil parish of St Pancras (can't make out address) and his occupation is given as policeman. By the 1861 census he was listed as a watchman so I think it was a short lived career. Which police force is he likely to have been in? Any help always appreciated.

Coromandel

Watchmen were involved in policing too, so Israel may have been in the same line of work in 1861 as he had been a decade earlier. See this interesting article about policing in London:
    https://www. oldbaileyonline.org/static/Policing.jsp

(You will also find much evidence from watchmen in the Old Bailey proceedings on the same website, and that will give you an idea of what Israel's job might have involved. I cannot see any specific references to him there, but may not have tried every spelling variation.)

malcolm99

Quote Originally Posted by Abbreviation View Post
    I have him on the 1851 census living in civil parish of St Pancras (can't make out address)
    The address is 33, Upper Albany Street, Saint Pancras, Saint Marylebone

HO107 piece 1493 folio 434 page 46

Record in care of TNA, Crown Copyright

malcolm99

You might also find this site interesting: met.police.uk/history/crime_museum.htm (put www in front)

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Some Metropolitan Police pension records are at the National Archives in MEPO 21. Have a look here.

Coromandel

From the Morning Post, 25 Oct 1848

Under the heading 'Police Intelligence', and sub-heading 'Marylebone', are details of the appearance in court of a man calling himself John Bull. He had been charged by 'Police-constable Hoppett, of the S division, who stated that on the previous night he found the prisoner lying quite drunk, and in a horizontal position, in Drummond-street, Euston-square...'